Anybody Modifying a Robin?

Hi.

Does anyone know if any billet flywheels will fit on a 6hp Robin EX-17 engine? My flywheel weighs 7 lbs. Besides protecting my engine, that's almost 5lbs of weight to shave off my bike.

How about billet rods? Will they fit on a Robin?

It LOOKS like an aftermarket filter will bolt on, maybe even the intake and 22mm Mikuni. I found a Robinson pipe made for this engine.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

Does anyone know if any billet flywheels will fit on a 6hp Robin EX-17 engine? My flywheel weighs 7 lbs. Besides protecting my engine, that's almost 5lbs of weight to shave off my bike.

How about billet rods? Will they fit on a Robin?

It LOOKS like an aftermarket filter will bolt on, maybe even the intake and 22mm Mikuni. I found a Robinson pipe made for this engine.

Thanks in advance.
Ill tell ya right now, even new or newer Robin engines are a HUGE pain in the ass to get stock parts for, and performance??? I cant say ive ever seen them. I worked on a generator that was only 4 or 5 years old for a friend at work and what a pain in the ass...thats the last one ill probably touch. Nobody and I mean NOBODY here in the detroit area had any parts or was willing to get them, and with my job I deal with quite a few places as I do alot of small engine stuff for the city I work for. Now, does it have any common parts that it shares with other clones or Hondas or whatever? :shrug: I dont know...I know the one I worked on didnt but??? If you find anything post back up your findings :scooter:

65ShelbyClone

OEM Subaru parts are also expensive, if not tough to find. The saving grace is that they are built well and perform well. They do not share anything parts-wise with Hondas.

ARC makes a billet rod and flywheel for the EX21. I would need to know the difference in deck height between it and the EX17 before I could speculate on interchangeability. I suspect that they will fit either engine, though.

OEM Subaru parts are also expensive, if not tough to find. The saving grace is that they are built well and perform well. They do not share anything parts-wise with Hondas.

ARC makes a billet rod and flywheel for the EX21. I would need to know the difference in deck height between it and the EX17 before I could speculate on interchangeability. I suspect that they will fit either engine, though.
Flat heads like the EY18 ( 25 nd 27 ) had realy shitty valves. Weak points that would restrict the max RPM.( mostly concerned with soft valves )

Might be something to watch for on the current OHV motors

Motra

I have no problem getting Robin parts. Their parts books (and service manuals) are available on their webpage and I call Central Motive Power (Denver) to order my parts. They show up in a few days and all is well.

Thanks for the many replies. I really appreciate what you guys have to offer.

The guy @ AGK gave me the bolt-hole specs on their carb's velocity stack. Since it matches the Robin carb's bolt hole, that SHOULD mean the their custom intake and Mikuni/Honda/etc. carbs should fit the Robin.

Robertson's has pipes made specifically for Robins on minibikes and/or karts. I'm installing an EX-17 on a bicycle. If the pipe doesn't fit, it can be cut and welded.

I'm just gonna chance it and buy the clone's billet flywheel and intake. If that and the carb intake doesn't fit, I'll shelf those parts and get a clone engine later.

Will keep you guys posted if the clone parts fit the Robin engine.

Subaru's EX27 is a common powerplant for a lot of the lower Trophy Karts.:shrug:
EY27 was a work horse I was first introduced too in the 80s.
Fantastic casting well designed engine with the eyeboprws already tapered and shaped in a way that flowed well.
The engines were strong and reliable...

But the valves were still junk.
You could not get the mushroomed valve out of the guide and you needed to grind or replace them to reuse. Every one I touched....

All I am saying is there is always something there to worry about.
Bad cams in a GM product decades ago still colour many peoples impressions of their cars.
Fuji Heavy industries made crap valves in the 80s and I will question that part of their engines for a very long time time to come.

Thank you for your insight, Newoldstock.

I'm mainly expecting reliability from my Robin or any clone/Predator. Any mildly-modified 6hp engine will be more than enough for my needs.

I bought my new Robin years ago on Ebay for $105. The crank was jammed; that was easily fixed when I removed a stray bolt under the flywheel. I wish I'd started off with a Honda or clone, but hey, I'm not racing.

maverick1

Have a 30 year old Snapper with a Robin on it. Hands down the best motor i have ever owned. Still going strong. On the other hand had a 14 horse Briggs on my rider which lasted 4 years. Rod bolt loosened up and went thru the case. There was a guy in Cali that I read about that was building some parts for kart racing.