Anyone ever built a fiberglass Jeep?

WLB

Title pretty well says it all. Has anyone here ever built a fiberglass Jeep? If so how did it hold up? Any brand considered better or worse than others?
Thanks.

WLB

It would be starting from scratch but how the parts such as windshield frame, hard top, doors, pedal assembly etc hold up bolted to fiberglass is what I am concerned about.

This is for a car my son would like to build and I'd like to see him start on it and get it done before I die of old age. Think of an early Lotus Super 7 with the Morgan type fenders only starting with a fiberglass Jeep tub, custom frame with race car suspension geometry, extended front end with 34 Ford or similar front fenders. He wanted to use the Jeep tub since it matches what he has in mind plus the top and doors are also available to make it useable in winter. Fiberglass was his choice over steel because of the huge amounts of salt Indy uses when it snows. He wants to build something that will last far beyond what a steel car will last here.

WLB

bigrob, is that Roadkill a forum? I googled that and came up with a lot of recipes for different mashed animals but no Jeeps.:laugh::laugh:

Tom S, I gave my son my Chevelle roadster so he already has one car that is useless in the rain, snow, or cold.:laugh::laugh: He wants the car to be useful all year round or at least if it rains or is cold. Snow, probably not. Has to be able to haul a few things also.

Iv never messed with a fiberglass tub. generally people that have say if they were to do it again they would go with a steel one. But I think thats more for authenticity sake. Im sure there are preffered brands of glass tubs but I dont know. I would think as long as its not all cracked and the wood reinforcements arnt all rotted out youll be alright. Check out earlycj5.net its a great forum much like this one they will be able lead you in the right direction