ARCO EZ Rider build

WrenchDad

As most of you know I picked up this ARCO EZ Rider yesterday. I took it apart to get it bead blasted (to see what I really have) and I have a Question.
What is the upper hole for on the rear wheel mount (there is one on the other side same location). Is it for other wheel size options,or does something bolt there. The spot where it the wheel is mounted now is worn pretty thin (looks like the axle nut was snugged down to tight without washers between the frame and the hub) could I mount the tire back in the upper location. And are there aftermarket replacement fenders and brackets for these bikes or should I try to find an original

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Mine doesn't have that hole. It's possible that someone made it so it would accommodate a larger wheel/tire in a previous life. The scrub brake was also removed. Perhaps it was in the way of the larger wheel/tire as well ?

Maybe someone with a little more ARCO knowledge will chime in though.

Well, I had thought the holes were original to the bike but after looking at mine and many others, I don't see any like that. With that being said now, I'm not certain about the lower shock mounts either. ARCO had their lower shock mounts integrated onto the wheel mounts on most of the ones that I've seen. They extend past the frame and have the hole punched in them to mount to.

edit: Oh, some of the companies used that extra hole as a place to hook the brake return spring.

On another note, I'm not sure if you wondered or not but you have the remnants of the scrub brake mounts on the frame as well as the scrub brake stop on the left side.

I've been finding that without very much original documentation for ARCO, it's very hard to tell what was original and what was not.

capguncowboy

Well, I had thought the holes were original to the bike but after looking at mine and many others, I don't see any like that. With that being said now, I'm not certain about the lower shock mounts either. ARCO had their lower shock mounts integrated onto the wheel mounts on most of the ones that I've seen. They extend past the frame and have the hole punched in them to mount to.

edit: Oh, some of the companies used that extra hole as a place to hook the brake return spring.

On another note, I'm not sure if you wondered or not but you have the remnants of the scrub brake mounts on the frame as well as the scrub brake stop on the left side.

I've been finding that without very much original documentation for ARCO, it's very hard to tell what was original and what was not.
That was the issue I ran into on mine. There were a lot of weld-ons and I had to just pick what I wanted to keep and what not to keep.

Just find a model similar to yours and go with it, or make it custom. Either way, you'll have a nice rider when you're done

markus

shock mount tabs are original, only the early ones had the on piece extended axle mount.

the double loop tab was used early-mid 70's and looks like they just went single tab at a later point. I haven't noticed the extra hole but since it appears to be same diameter as the axle and its also appears to give enough room to be able to get to the bolt with tools that maybe they offered that particular frame at one point with 2 different wheel/tire size options or something to that nature, most of the time if you see 2 holes on that mount the intentions were usually to secure the brake plate or return spring so the hole is much smaller and even if you were to drill it out its usually too close to the frame to clear the bolt.

If you use it and use the same size tires front and back its going to sit ass low unless you shorten the forks, could maybe use a 5.30 in the back and a 4.10 in the front and it will sit level though- frame can problaby take the width, but might want to verify there will be engouh room between sprocket and tire on whatever wheel you use.

WrenchDad

shock mount tabs are original, only the early ones had the on piece extended axle mount.

the double loop tab was used early-mid 70's and looks like they just went single tab at a later point. I haven't noticed the extra hole but since it appears to be same diameter as the axle and its also appears to give enough room to be able to get to the bolt with tools that maybe they offered that particular frame at one point with 2 different wheel/tire size options or something to that nature, most of the time if you see 2 holes on that mount the intentions were usually to secure the brake plate or return spring so the hole is much smaller and even if you were to drill it out its usually too close to the frame to clear the bolt.

If you use it and use the same size tires front and back its going to sit ass low unless you shorten the forks, could maybe use a 5.30 in the back and a 4.10 in the front and it will sit level though- frame can problaby take the width, but might want to verify there will be engouh room between sprocket and tire on whatever wheel you use.
I'm pretty certain the extra holes are factory if not some one put a lot of time into making sure they were absolutley the same on both sides the spaceing from hole to hole ,angle, space from side to side. every thing screems jig set up. not free hand. and yes you can access a bolt. That said I cant find a single Arco model picture that has two holes. The scrub brake mounts may have been broken I'm not sure yet. If they were cut to acomodate a bigger wheel you would think they would take them off at the frame and not hack the loop. Also I havent seen tha flat rear tire in any other model pictures. so It may be a mod. Also the wooden seat pan I believe is original but it does have some mounting holes (with the threaded gromets in them) that are extra like maybe an aftermarket seat. but again the symetry in the holes dont imply home made. I'll try to get a couple more pictures.

One more thing There is what's left of a hand brake on the throttle side of the bars so I'm assuming they busted the scrub brake and was going to replace it with some thing else but there is no other hardware

Last edited:

WrenchDad

Got the wheels cleaned off and the forks. Front wheel is pitted but solid,back wheel pitted badly with some holes. forks and fender are pitted but solid.
If any one has a wheel with sprocket that would fit this let me know.

oldfatguy

wow, I thought that only jersey was known for rust buckets. It's a shame that it sat out so long to rust away like that but it can still be saved. I have an aftermarket steel rim on the back of my Arco. You will need to make spacers to line up the sprocket but it can be made to work if you can't find another original rim. You win the prize for the most dry rotted tires, they unfortunately can't be saved. :laugh:

WrenchDad

wow, You win the prize for the most dry rotted tires, they unfortunately can't be saved. :laugh:
They are both tubed and are still holding air but I know they are not safe to ride on. Once I finalize on rims I'll put new rubber on them. I believe they are six inch rims and I don't know what all wheels from what bikes will fit but I'm looking. I asked in the parts wanted section but nothing yet. The guy said they (the bikes) were laying under a porch and this one was recoil side down with the handle bars stuck in the dirt that's why they look so bad. the sprocket side of this wheel looks great but that doesn't help me.

capguncowboy

Arco wheels have the exact same design as some of the cheaper wheels at Northern, but they don't have the hub. You might be able to use one of those and either weld a hub on them or use spacers.

I think Trailhorses had similar wheels if I'm not mistaken

If you're not opposed to getting away from all original get some pretty Astro or Tri-Star wheels from OldMiniBikes , They are nice and shiny :laugh: