Arctic Cat worth it?

I say it's top of the market for the condition, depends on if you want a project or if your looking to restore THAT bike. :shrug:

This is a mess. Wrong engine, wrong seat, junk tank, wrong rear sprocket, wrong pegs, wrong throttle body, handlebars are trashed, rusted wheels and shocks. The frame is either heavily modified or is not a Prowler. I'd say it was a Ramrod frame but they would have removed the jack shaft mounts for that to be true. Hard to see from the pics. It's worth maybe $225 in parts depending on what that engine is worth.

This is a mess. Wrong engine, wrong seat, junk tank, wrong rear sprocket, wrong pegs, wrong throttle body, handlebars are trashed, rusted wheels and shocks. The frame is either heavily modified or is not a Prowler. I'd say it was a Ramrod frame but they would have removed the jack shaft mounts for that to be true. Hard to see from the pics. It's worth maybe $225 in parts depending on what that engine is worth.

Running, the engine isn't worth much. $40 tops. If it's a non-runner, $20.

I agree with Boomstick. $40 is kind of what I was thinking too. I'm thinking this bike is barely worth the price of parting it out, even on a good day. By the time you give 13% to eBay/PayPal, you're out money. There are better project opportunities out there. You will pay a bit more for something more original but by the time you replace everything that's wrong with this, you'd have too much money into it. Not that any bit of our hobby makes financial sense. I'd say I usually put twice as much into restoring a bike than what it's worth...and my labor is free. :doah: Nobody can make a decent profit in restoring and reselling unless you find the bike laying abandoned in a barn or on the side of the road.

Would any of you fellas care to explain to me the difference between: "How much is it worth" and "Is it worth it". As far as I can tell it's just a cleverly disguised way of asking the same question. Suppose I have a minibike I'm looking to sell. What's to prevent me from taking a picture of my bike and posting it on OldMiniBikes claiming a guy around here has it for sale for $300.00.......Is it worth it? Since a number of posters don't seem to care or aren't capable of reading the rules; I'd like to make a suggestion. Go ahead and let them make their posts seeking values; but give a 30 day vacation (ban) to anyone who gives an answer other than "No values given on this site". Opinions? Ogy

So you guys chastise people who ask an now you want to punish someone for answering? The guy isn't trying to sell it, he is just green and doesn't know if he'd be wasting his money. I respect the rules and don't ask but I'm not about to not help someone in need. That's why this forum exists, right? I guess I'll just PM it from now on. God forbid we openly share info.

I suppose he could be scamming us but where's the trust?

A member here recently screwed me royal. Offered me a part, I accepted and said I'd buy it at his price if fixable - can you send me pictures. He agreed to send me a picture. Sounds like a deal in progress to me.

I gave him a few days to send the pics because we're all busy. He took pics but didn't send them to me. He put it on eBay without warning. It sold in 9 minutes with no chance to see it was on there. Where's the rule on that one? In all my years of collecting, I never had anyone screw me like that, and it was a fellow member.

How about we focus on trust and helping each other rather than waiting for the next unfortunate new member who missed or misunderstood the rule about asking values, and apparently now, those of us kind enough to help.

WrenchDad

I read it as he wanted to know if it was worth his time and effort for that Money. Not a is it worth this as a value.

So I would say no I wouldn't pay that in that condition.

So you guys chastise people who ask an now you want to punish someone for answering? The guy isn't trying to sell it, he is just green and doesn't know if he'd be wasting his money. I respect the rules and don't ask but I'm not about to not help someone in need. That's why this forum exists, right? I guess I'll just PM it from now on. God forbid we openly share info.
Arctic, Let me be sure I understand your point. It's OK with you if they ask the value question and it's OK with you if people answer it. Then why even have the rule? My point was: if you can't stop people from asking the value questions; you may want to prevent members from answering them. Nowhere in my post did I advocate not sharing information. That's what this site is all about. It's just that in the past the value question has caused a lot of drama and hurt feelings and that's why the rule was instituted in the first place. Ogy

Hey guys, A fellow in Altoona is selling this Fox Campus and he's asking $250.00 for it. I know I can't ask how much it's worth but is it worth the money and is it worth my time and effort to drive all that way to go and look at it? Now, you tell me: Is there really a guy in Altoona selling this bike or do I own it and am just fishing for a value. Ogy

Hey guys, A fellow in Altoona is selling this Fox Campus and he's asking $250.00 for it. I know I can't ask how much it's worth but is it worth the money and is it worth my time and effort to drive all that way to go and look at it? Now, you tell me: Is there really a guy in Altoona selling this bike or do I own it and am just fishing for a value. Ogy
Here's a picture of the bike. Ogy

Arctic, Let me be sure I understand your point. It's OK with you if they ask the value question and it's OK with you if people answer it. Then why even have the rule? My point was: if you can't stop people from asking the value questions; you may want to prevent members from answering them. Nowhere in my post did I advocate not sharing information. That's what this site is all about. It's just that in the past the value question has caused a lot of drama and hurt feelings and that's why the rule was instituted in the first place. Ogy
Ogy, I understand and respect what you're saying and maybe your idea would work, but I think it would be a nightmare to manage. As you said, people will continue to screw up and ask for a value, usually by accident, whether it be outright or in this round about way of "is it worth it". Likewise, helpful and trusting members will probably continue to screw up and answer openly when someone asks for help.

I'm just tired of, as you pointed out, the drama and hurt feelings every time this happens. The thing is, it's always a new member who screws up and asks. "Welcome to the group, you F'd up!" That exact thing happened to me when I first joined and it was not very welcoming. I had read the rules. I was so focused on needing help on the question that simply forgot. Whenever I respond to questions like this, I'm just trying to be helpful. I can't speak for Boomstick but I think he was just trying to help too.

I'm tired of having to consult the fine print, I just want to help. I'm also tired of seeing newbies pounced on. Like I said, I'll just PM people from now on. If anyone wants to know an Arctic value, PM me.

So I figure with this latest drama, I better go refresh myself on the rules. The only thing I find that references "don't ask what it's worth" is on the "What Is It" area. If you look at the Craigslist area description, there's nothing about it. If you read through a few threads there, you'll see a wide array of round-about ways to discuss the value and if it is worth the asking price. This user posted this in the correct section. How did he know he was doing wrong? Was he doing wrong?

I mean this in the most sincere and non smart-ass way...where are the rules posted here that apply to the entire site? We need a link and I'm not finding it. How is a new user to find it?

So I finally found it...

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/g...1415-no-appraisals-no-how-much-worth-etc.html

Problem is that it's buried within the General Minibike Talk section. You can bypass this altogether on the forum home page and go straight to the Craigslist section. I would suggest the sticky get added there too.

Maybe it would be better just to give a link on the home page to the site rules. That's what other forums do. Just a suggestion. If it's there and I'm not seeing it, please point it out.

Dubs

Or just look at a members post history. Seems to be a fine line between being a stickler for the rules, and just being overly cynical.

To those of you that actually provided a helpful and productive response, thank you.

Rules are rules. I just have a hard time not offering help. I got suckered more than once when starting out for hundreds of dollars. Seems a shame we can't help each other avoid a costly mistake, but rules....