Attaching Custom seats w/o mounting holes?

How are you guys attaching seats to the frame or seat brackets if there aren't any mounting holes in the seat itself ?

Do you mark the holes on the wood and pull the cover and foam to install the flush mounted nuts?

Just getting ideas...

Last edited:
It's going to be a pain If the foam was glued to the wood. :doah: The two piece fasteners can be found at most hardware stores.

Or you can go cheesy and use short wood screws and washers.:doah:

I see the anchors your talking about but won't those just back out of the wood?

Those look to be the same style you should use if you were coming in through the top.

What about something like this?

They come in all sizes,these are kinda short.You could get them longer so the expansion happens above the plywood inside the seat.
They are called wellnuts and are used in different auto applications any autobody clip supplier can get them for you.I think I might have seen them in the help section at auto parts store.I used to get them from work but no longer there.We had to secure the wire looms and different componants on the underside of the fiberglass H-1 Hummer hoods.

Go to your nearest Lowes or Home depot. In the specialty fastener section of hardware you'll find some threaded fasteners.They look like small barrels and are a very course thread on the outside and the indicated thread on the inside. Get the 1/4 X 20's. They are about an inch long. Drill a quarter inch hole, tap the fastener, to start it, then use a 1/4 inch hex wrench to thread the fastener into the wood. With a 1/4X20 bolt, clamp your seat down.
I know they work. I have used then to hold the wheel chock in place for my 870 pound Harley Ultra. I doubt your seat will need anywhere near that much strength.

I see the anchors your talking about but won't those just back out of the wood?

Those look to be the same style you should use if you were coming in through the top.
Yeah, you have to anchor one end of it through the top, thats why if your foam is glued it's going to be tougher to get to it. Doing the anchors are easy. :thumbsup:

delray

deezildennis,when you install them they kind of twist into the wood. so when they are bolted against a metal bracket. it's kind of hard for them to fall out? unless the wood rot's and that takes about 20 years? also little strong glue around them can help. if your seat cover is stapled? you could try pulling them out and restaple them back in with a staple gun,thats if you really want to install them from the top.(best way of doing it)
:scooter:,doesn't have to look pretty under the seat:thumbsup: