Baja Dirt Bug minibike for Xmas and ?

Ran into the local Tractor Supply store here in Galax, VA looking for snow boots for my daughters (and another snow shovel for the driveway). While there we noticed the little yellow Baja Dirt Bug mini bikes on display. They were on sale for $255 each and I mentioned to my wife we should buy a couple so we could ride them around our property and have a little fun with the minibikes and the kids. I had a mini bike when I was a kid (I think it was a Fox, but I'm not sure), and my wife said she had a Honda Trail 50. Anyhow, there were so many people there due to a snow storm we were having at the time (16 inches, unusual for southwestern Virginia at this time of year) we past on the mini bike idea and left.

Christmas Eve day my wife and I drove over the the Tractor supply store and bought the only Baja Dirt Bike they had left. It was already assembled, so I checked the oil, added gas and hauled it over to a large parking lot near our home (there was still about a foot of snow in our yard, so we had to find a place to try out the minibike.

Well, it didn't take too long to figure out that this little minibike wasn't anything like the ones from back in my youth (early-to-mid 70s). It was (as all you other Baja Doodle Bug owners know) pretty disappointing in the speed and climbing department. It was okay (not really though) with our 12 year old daughter riding it, but still pretty weak. And yes, we had noticed the 150 lbs limit before we bought it.

After some internet research, I learned how to back-off the screw to allow more speed (Haven't really noticed that much of an improvement), and through this website I learned of the jackshaft conversion and have ordered one (I guess I'm on the waiting list), and plan on drilling out the muffler.

At the Tractor Supply store, I also noticed they had the larger Baja Heat Mini Bike (6.5 hp). What's the story on these mini bikes? My wife and I would like to ride along with our daughters (taking turns, of course). I'm 6 ft 2 in and around 198 lbs, my wife is shorter (5 ft 6 in and who knows how much she weighs, but she's over the 150 lbs weight limit for the Dirt Bug for dang sure).

Would the Baja Heat Mini Bike hold up to my size and weight, or would there have to be extensive modifications made like the Dirt Bug?

Thanks for any advice!

Jimmy S.

I have a db. 97cc. for the kids with a jack shaft and a Baja heat with the 6.5 thy will do just fine. I'm a good 210 lbs , we go all over. but do get the jack shaft for the db.

Thanks for the replies...

I've gave some thought to the 6.5 clone swap, but I'm gonna wait for the jackshaft conversion before I go any further. As I said before, I have ordered the jackshaft, but they're out of stock until January 3rd ('10). The Dirt Bug will be ridden by my two daughters (unless the wife and I are just goofin' off), so the jackshaft along with the drilled out muffler (just did it, helped some) and backing off the throttle screw might be enough mods for the little db.

As for the Baja Heat Mini Bike, I saw a vid on YouTube of a torque converter somethin' or another that appeared to make the bike fly. Anybody try this on a Baja Heat Mini Bike?

Jimmy S.

Hey Lonewolf, welcome to the forum. Nice to see a fellow Virginian on here (I'm from Lexington). The baja heat you are talking about is a really fun ride. I recently got a Warrior, same bike different color, and have had a blast with it ....until we got the snow from hell. You will enjoy it alot and if you are just spinning around the farm you are not going to have any problems. You will probably, especially after reading through this forum, want to do some of the mods mentioned in here. I let a friend ride mine and when he came back he had the biggest smile on his face I'd ever seen. He said, "I saw these things at Tractor Supply but I didn't think they would pull me around like this." Go get one you won't regret it.

The comet torque-a-verter is getting really hard to find because they've gone out of business but there are some still floating around on ebay and such but be ready to pay more than they originally cost. The alternative to it is the Baja version that they use on one of their go-karts You can search on the Baja site and find the SD65 go-kart go to the parts catalog on the right side, it lists all the parts for the torque converter assembly.

Last edited:
Greetings, Hosscatt! :smile:

Ah..., Lexington Virginia: Home of the Virginia Military Institute (took a tour of it a couple of times), and the gravesite of General Stonewall Jackson (been there, too). When my oldest daughter was playing club volleyball, we drove past the Lexington exit on I-81 many times on our way to Mary Baldwin College in Staunton where she had tournaments.

Yeah, we're probably gonna buy a Baja Heat... the only deterrent right now is the 6-8 inches of snow that's still covering everthing. I think it'd be fun to play around in it, but the wife says wait 'til the snow melts (you know how some women are... :wink:).

Thanks for the info on the comet torque-a-verter, you're a real pal!:drinkup:

Jimmy S.

Last edited:
Baja Dirt Bug Update...

Changed out the oil in the little 2.8 (2.5?) motor of the doodle bug this afternoon, then loaded up the wife and 12 year old daughter (and the mini bike) and headed out to the huge parking lot (unused) and rode some.

While my wife was on the bike I noticed the rear tire looked about half flat. I ran back to the house and picked up a bicycle tire pump and aired up the back tire. BIG IMPROVEMENT!!! The little doodle bug has redeemed itself at last (with a little tweekin' here and there with the help of you guys here on oldminibikes.com)!

There's an access road to the parking lot that is kinda steep (If you're ridin' a single speed 'cruiser' bicycle you either have to stand up to peddle or get off and push the bike). Before all the tweekin', the doodle bug with my 12 year old daughter riding could pull the incline, but it was pretty dang slow. Now the mini bike will pull the grade with my 198 lbs on board a lot faster than with her on it before the tweeks.

Can't wait to install the jackshaft conversion and see how much better the Dirt Bug will perform.

Jimmy S.

joekd

Yeah, we're probably gonna buy a Baja Heat... the only deterrent right now is the 6-8 inches of snow that's still covering everthing. I think it'd be fun to play around in it, but the wife says wait 'til the snow melts (you know how some women are... :wink:).
Tell her there is no reason to wait, the baja heat rides fine in the snow

Me and my son playing in our last snowstorm

Baja Dirt Bug/Warrior Update

After debating the pros and cons, the wife and I made a return trip to the local Tractor Supply and purchased a Baja Warrior (not the "Heat", same bike just different paint and decals) mini bike. Wished I had bought it before Christmas, and saved about 50 bucks.

BIG difference between the 6.5 motor and the little DB30 2.8 (Rocket science, right?). INSTANT throttle response, but of course it tops out about the same as the little DB30 with the tweeking to the motor (I also backed out the throttle stop screw on the 6.5 before I ever fired it up). But that's just fine, because we don't need break-neck speed to have fun with the two bikes. My oldest daughter (19 years old) rode the Warrior one trip and said it was too powerful for her, and she'd stick to the Dirt Bug. I doubled both my daughters (one at a time, of course), and the Warrior bike was just as powerful as with only one rider.

We rode the two bikes most of the afternoon, taking turns so they got a good workout. I guess I'll have to service the clutch (blow it out, oil the clutch bearing) on the DB30 after the next time we ride.

Jimmy S.

After debating the pros and cons, the wife and I made a return trip to the local Tractor Supply and purchased a Baja Warrior (not the "Heat", same bike just different paint and decals) mini bike. Wished I had bought it before Christmas, and saved about 50 bucks.

BIG difference between the 6.5 motor and the little DB30 2.8 (Rocket science, right?). INSTANT throttle response, but of course it tops out about the same as the little DB30 with the tweeking to the motor (I also backed out the throttle stop screw on the 6.5 before I ever fired it up). But that's just fine, because we don't need break-neck speed to have fun with the two bikes. My oldest daughter (19 years old) rode the Warrior one trip and said it was too powerful for her, and she'd stick to the Dirt Bug. I doubled both my daughters (one at a time, of course), and the Warrior bike was just as powerful as with only one rider.

We rode the two bikes most of the afternoon, taking turns so they got a good workout. I guess I'll have to service the clutch (blow it out, oil the clutch bearing) on the DB30 after the next time we ride.

Jimmy S.
You will have a blast with your Warrior!!!! I have the red and black version and ride with my 10yr old son who has a db30.

Also, since the warrior comes with a jackshaft, it can be re-geared fairly easily. I re-geared mine from the stock 10:1 ratio to 6.5:1 for a big difference in top end speed. However, I did put it back to the stock 10:1 ratio for some winter riding. I still waiting for some snow in ohio. We had a maybe 2-3" last weekend but I was out of town.

Can some one help me out please?
My friends and I want to buy a doodle bug we are all 14-16. Our wieght ranges from 115-145. Would the doodle bug easily support each of us? We would use it to drive up to the horse barn and in order to get there you have to go on several off-road atv paths some uphill........We all know to losen the govenor and tighten the throtle to help it go faster and have more power

Would the Doodle bug support each one of us on the uphill atv roads?

Last edited:
Welcome to the site wolfie 09! :thumbsup: No, it wont! The stock DB engines are gutless and riders over 100#s cannot go uphill unless you get a jackshaft kit. Buy something that does'nt come with a poorly made engine that you'll end up tossing in a few weeks if it last's that long! Buy a used one and drop a 6.5 Honda clone from Harbor Freight and dont look back. Let someone elses wallet take the initial beating of buying an overpriced underpowered machine then buy it for half the new price and repower the thing!:thumbsup: My 7yo daughter rides one with a 3hp briggs and my 15yo son and I have clones on ours, Lindajane's will carry me and get up to 30-35 and I'm 210#s. The low end power is not overwhelming on hers so she rides it like she stole it! Here are ours...........

thanks for the welcoming and input :thumbsup: I have seen and heard of a "jackshaft kit" but i have never installed one? How do you install it? What kind should i get?

thanks for the welcoming and input :thumbsup: I have seen and heard of a "jackshaft kit" but i have never installed one? How do you install it? What kind should i get?
ProMod makes and sells a kit and it comes with everything including instructions, it does take a lot of stress off the engine and lets it work. Should it go bad while not under warranty a Harbor Freight 2.5ohv will replace it and likely be a much better powerplant. Were I to be buying a new one I'd get the JS kit right away and let her ride it till it wont go. IMO it's the cure for buyers remorse as far as DBs go!:thumbsup:

Hey, I originated this thread. Since last December '09 we now have 2 (two) DB30s ("Doodlebug", "Dirt Bug", "Baja Racer" same thing just different paint/decals) with 6.5 hp "clone" engines, 2 (two) Baja Warriors with 6.5 "clone" engines and ProMod jackshaft upgrade kits, and 1 (one) Mini Baja mini bike with 5.5 hp "clone" engine for a spare. I guess you could say we got hooked on ridin' mini bikes.

Yeah, we bought the ProMod jackshaft kit for the 2.8 hp stock engine, and it helped a lot (Drill a couple of 3/8" holes through the muffler outlet into the baffle, pump the rear tire up to 20-25 psi while you're at it). On soft ground your DB30 will still be weak, it performs the best on hard surfaces

There's a sticky for the ProMod jackshaft kit in the Baja Motorsports forum, it's around a hundred bucks ($100) or so (When you order be sure to mention that you're a oldminibike.com member for a discount or it's more than $100). It'll come quick in the mail, and it takes 45 minutes to an hour to install. The kit comes with all the parts needed, all you provide is the tools and elbow grease.

Here's what it looks like installed on a DB30:

It's worth the money and you'll be happy with it until you've ridden a doodlebug with a 6.5 hp "clone" engine.

Here's the link to the jackshaft sticky: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/b...odlebug-performance-jackshaft.html#post117618

Jimmy S.

I have a DB30 with a stock motor and a jackshaft and I'm quite happy. You'll need a bigger motor or a jackshaft for any uphill work. #1 Break the motor in right-drain the shipping oil-idle it for I advise 15 minutes then drive it with the throttle stop screw still in it for 15 more-drain the oil -your broke in.
Remove the stop screw. The vendor jackshaft kits are very slick and ready to install. If your in school and take welding shop there are DIY jackshaft kits too-how well it comes off is up to how good a job you do.
The upper end set up is a 6.5 motor with a CVT (torque-a-verter) or a 4 speed lifan but that's a installation challenge.

:smile: So i did some searching and found the 2.8hp jackshaft kit from ProMod like some of you suggested and I am really considering it! :thumbsup: The total price for me with shipping is $131.15.......can i do anything to lower that a little discounts? sales? If I would purchase it how long would it take to arrive?

Can You find this is stores?

Last edited: