Baja Heat troubles after mods

ErikJ

This is my first time posting on the forum. I'm having some trouble with my Baja heat after I did some engine mods. Recently I installed a Billet rod, aluminum fly wheel, 18# valve springs and a 90# main jet.

My problem is that the motor won't start or stay running. Today I had the chance to try and figure out the problem with no luck. I got the motor to run with no choke and full throttle, but then it would quickly die. The motor will not idle or start with the choke on (without giving it gas).

And the motor pours out white smoke.. like a freight train.

Any help would be appreciated, and I really don't want to take it to a small motor shop.

Thanks, Erik

sounds like the rings are not in right if it is smoking that much!
Welcome to the site!:thumbsup: I'd check the timing marks and make sure the valves are run down properly, given the mods you did. The rings could be stacked wrong but I dont think it'd cause the not running except full throttle thing. Sounds more like valves or timing, the smoke could be too much fuel not enough air! Tear it down and put it back together, doublecheck everything and see what you find! Good luck!:thumbsup:

This is my first time posting on the forum. I'm having some trouble with my Baja heat after I did some engine mods. Recently I installed a Billet rod, aluminum fly wheel, 18# valve springs and a 90# main jet.
ErikJ, take out the 90 and use the stock jet.

ErikJ

Thanks for all the help, I finally got it to idle and run fairly well. But now theres a new problem. I went for a test drive yesturday and tryed giving it full throttle and the motor would rev to a certain rpm, and then sputter (not reaching its full potential)

any ideas?

I was thinking maybe use premium gas and get the gx140 emulsion tube.

Thanks for all the help, I finally got it to idle and run fairly well. But now theres a new problem. I went for a test drive yesturday and tryed giving it full throttle and the motor would rev to a certain rpm, and then sputter (not reaching its full potential)

any ideas?

I was thinking maybe use premium gas and get the gx140 emulsion tube.
your carb jetting is screwed up,and you probably filled the crank case with fuel:scooter:

ErikJ

I might go back to the stock carb main jet.. today I tryed to drive it and it seemed to be worst then last time, as in I barely give it gas and it starts to sputter

im thinking its the main jet, because it idles fine but whenever I get on it, it pops and stutters and shoots flames out of the exhaust.

Meaning the Dot on the Camshaft isn't in line with the Dot on the Crankshaft?
That was my first though, I dont build small engines at least not yet but have been neck deep in some car engines and it's the simple stuff that kills ya. I'd at least crack the side cover off and check.:thumbsup: