Baja Warrior HM80 Swap?

Just curious to see if anyone has any experience with the swap.

I got an HM80 10HP Tecumseh 1in shaft from a Log Splitter (Swapping that out for a 13hp Honda), and although it needs some minor work (i.e. rings) I think it has some potential...

Anyways I'll try and throw some pictures on here when I get the time, but in the meantime anyone who's done the swap what problems were there?

Will the holes in the engine plate on the frame line up with this engine? With the crank line up with the torque converter/chain? What TC should I get?

HM80 is 8 horse power.. It'll be an aluminum block, iron bore..

No, the bolt holes are larger on the 8-10 horse blocks..

Tecumseh MADE a small pattern 10 horse specifically for gokarts, so you can just drop in the huge motor, but %97 of them are all the large pattern..

If the engine will (fit) I am sure you can make new holes and stuff..

13 horse for splitting wood is BEYOND enough.. :laugh:

MB165

I have wanted to do one of these myself. I still have a small frame 8hp tecumseh, off a sears snow blower. just need to score a cheap baja chassis.
I think they look good with a big old flathead in there... If its a medium frame youll need to drill new holes, probably need to offset it some, maybe a jackshaft setup to help with alignment.

delray

neck
It got finished, I just never got final pics posted. Raced it at Ventura, even took it to bonneville and rode as a pit bike. It's in the process of getting a bigger electric start 10 horse Briggs as we speak, which almost bolts in.
i have seen couple big block 8's for sale in the past on my local cragslist with lighted coils and 120v electric start that could easy be change over to 12v.......:thumbsup:
that style big block briggs kind of reminds me of the big 8 husky engines in the cushman scooters. just a real tall block.

neck
i have seen couple big block 8's for sale in the past on my local cragslist with lighted coils and 120v electric start that could easy be change over to 12v.......:thumbsup:
that style big block briggs kind of reminds me of the big 8 husky engines in the cushman scooters. just a real tall block.

I have a lighting setup for the 6-8 horse briggs motors.. :mellow:

delray

no neck, just wonder what happen with your project build. you will have to post some pictures of it done sometime soon......:thumbsup:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Ahh I remember that well! That came out really good! I also want to build a swing arm bike, maybe put that Maico Kart engine in it.

delray

question4u92, post some pictures of that 8hp on your bike. should be a nice size engine for that bike.....:thumbsup:
you could make your fake tank into a real tank or find something close to it that will fit good on the bike........:thumbsup:

baja bike is without a doubt the best bike to modified and build it to what every you want it to be and not feel bad about modifying it like some guys do too a vintage bike.:doah:

I've never finished anything.. :laugh: Best I can do is, thats pretty damned close.. OPE, I broke it.. :glare:

Ongoing nightmares for me.. :lglare:

Last edited: