baja warrior

6.5 motor, tav 2, no other mods yet, can anyone recommend a functional chain tensioner that requires minimum or preferably no modifications?

You do not need a chain tensioner on a Warrior. The engine plate is slotted and the rear axle is adjustable too. If the chain it too loose then remove a link and readjust.

Doug

after i installed the tav 2 the chain is riding just a hair off the frame and i can see where occasionally the chain rubbed the frame, so im actually not needing a tensioner so to say, i need a roller for the the chain to ride on and not the frame

Is the motor slid all the way to the rear? I have never heard of this being an issue. It sounds like the motor is to far forward. There is no simple way to add a follower. It probably will require welding a bracket on the frame and then use a DB30 style tensioner. There just isn't that much room on a Warrior to add a chain tensioner.

It can be done. I have done it to both mine and my wife's bike.
Sorry for all the road dust. My second one came out better after some practice. I had to make a bracket, and the spring that cam with the generic tensioner just wasn't cutting it, so I used a screen door spring.

I'm into function above beauty. I probably put 200 miles a week on this bike.

Attachments

the warrior was bought brand new and the motor sits where it was when i bought it,
It had to sit where it was due to the jackshaft assembly bolting to the tab on the engine plate. You don't use that tab now so you are free to slide it where it needs to be. Loosen the mounting bolts and make sure that it is all the way to the rear. That's the first thing I would do. And then I would adjust the chain length if needed and use the rear axle adjusters for chain adjustment. If it still touches then I would do what BBQJOE did. It looks to be much more compact than a DB30 style tensioner but its hard to see in the pics.

I have never seen anyone use or even mention a tensioner until BBQJOE posted his pic....

Doug

Loosen the mounting bolts and make sure that it is all the way to the rear. That's the first thing I would do. And then I would adjust the chain length if needed and use the rear axle adjusters for chain adjustment.
I'd do all of that, after I'd installed a high quality chain. (No idea what chain he's running) Since the chain is riding "just a hair" off of the frame, I'd try and incorporate something on the frame to prevent chain rash, like a split length of black PVC with adhesive fitted over the frame.

If I were going to use a chain tensioner, I would procure one with adequate torsion spring tension and weld it to the frame, although what BBQJOE has done is also a very simple and workable solution.

I'd do all of that, after I'd installed a high quality chain. (No idea what chain he's running).

A very good point! The factory chain does leave a lot to be desired. Chinese and cheap... That reminds me that I need to order chain for my Warrior.

Sliding the motor to the rear as much as possible would in effect raise the front sprocket and the chain path. That was/is my Train of thought although may Train my be susceptible to jumping the track....

Doug

Last edited:
At least with the Baja's, the only real option without carving the TC plate up a bunch is the way we both have it mounted.
A slice still needs to come off the bottom to clear the frame.
I've found that even using good chain, but leaving about a half inch play in it, the chain will still bounce against the frame.

The nice thing about a tensioner, is that it gives you a little more time between chain adjustments.

That's me. Always going against the grain.