Band brake, correct size?

45t

Someone aready posted about band brakes and I learned a lot, but I had a question?

I'm running a #35 Chain 11 Tooth 5/8" Bore Max Torque clutch that measures 4 3/16" across. Do I order the 4-3/16" Brake band with bracket - Manco Part #1036 (4-3/16" BRAKE BAND W/BRACKET) or the larger
4.5" Band Brake - AZ2255 (4.5" band brake).

I want to make sure that I order the correct one the first time. I'm not sure if I need to order the next size up so it fits over the clutch or do I order the same size as the clutch?

Any help would be appreciated

45t

Thanks guys for all the help!

Whats with the spring on the band brake? Some pics I see it with some without? I know its probably a return spring. Is it necessary?

Thanks guys for all the help!

Whats with the spring on the band brake? Some pics I see it with some without? I know its probably a return spring. Is it necessary?

Yes you're right it is a return spring. You are able to run a band brake without a spring, because of the natural way the band brake wants to be positioned when braking, but I'd run a spring with it anyway just in case.

well I'm gonna jump onto this thread with a similar question...I have a vintage Horstman clutch that I want to run a band brake on....just measured the "bell" and it actually measures more like 3-3/4"......will the 4" band still work...?
I assume there is a range where it will still be effective......

I tried the 4" band around the 3-3/4 " clutch...doesn't look good....the ends of the band are almost touching before it closes completely around the bell.....I see where Comet made a 3-1/2" band (snowmobile ?)....anybody got one kickin around they want to sell.....??