Battery charging

In that case you could get by with a half-wave rectifier and the more common 3A-AC frame. If your trips are short, skip the coil/flywheel gizmos and just charge off mains voltage.

Magneto/coils assy. can be found here or eBay (currently only HS40 units are up on auction but ask ebay member mamaduke 1960 for leads). Flywheel was offered by capguncowboy. Diodes & battery at any online electronic parts firm. Schematics on this forum site.

Rick, the first thing you should consider doing is to read up on what is available. There were several options for charging systems available for that engine, including the 2 and 3 amp DC, (part number 611116) the 3 amp DC, 5 amp AC, (part number 611104) 3 amp AC (lighting) alternator (611095) and probably a few others.

All of these units (and those not listed for other Tecumseh engines) generate AC, which is either rectified (making DC) via half wave rectifier, (a diode in the AC output) for battery charging, or use a full wave rectifier on a small panel for charging.

You can power incandescent lights (bulbs with filaments) with AC, although the 3 amp lighting systems do not do well with 12 volt head lamps. (Use six volt)

No, I do not have those part numbers memorized, although I did spend a few decades as an aviation electrician among other "tron" endeavors, so I have a dim grasp of the terminology. A great reference for this information is found here.

As far as finding parts, some of the usual parts houses on line may carry some, but most of them are found on Ebay. You would also need the appropriate flywheel.

Alternatively, there were some 110 AC starter systems available as pointed out above, where you plugged in to the wall and started your machine. I doubt that is what you're looking for, but if you did go that route, you could use a smaller LiPo rechargeable battery, and run an LED lighting system.

[MENTION=51233]Dr. Shop Teacher[/MENTION] just went through a lot of this research and might be able to discuss what he found, or direct you to some sources.

I think what needs to be established beforehand is how you want to go about this. Several here have gone through the motions of trying to use modern technology instead of hunting for Tecumseh-specific parts. I myself "researched" this and came to the conclusion that bicycle lighting with integrated storage made the most sense. I have two bikes with OE lighting and both are dismal at providing necessary lumens/beam pattern. That's OK as my intentions were to stay original.

Starting is another realm. How many start cycles in an outing?? Tec offered a 7A unit that might serve you better. Again, you will have to hunt for coil assemblies for the H50 not to mention the flywheel (did I mention capguncowboy has one?). There is already one WTB ad for this stuff but no harm in placing another.

I have two bikes with OE lighting and both are dismal at providing necessary lumens/beam pattern. That's OK as my intentions were to stay original.
I've had success with using 6 volt head lamps, (30w/30w) on one leg of the 35w "lighting" flywheel, and the 12 volt tail/stop combination on the rear. Plenty of illumination given the speeds at which both the Powell and the Cat Endura were traveling. Since that system's maximum output at 3600 RPM is a realistic 10VAC, I never could power a 12 volt head lamp sufficiently.

I don't know which vintage bikes came with 12 volt head lamps, if any. I do know the AP 4600 (six volt) works fine in both bright and dim on a 35w lighting coil. The tail/brake needs 12 volt, since the (maximum) 10 volts quickly burns the filaments, due to the load being too small.

I don't know of anyone who has gone through high tech motions, except Ole or MB165, I keep forgetting which, who paralleled the 35w system, rectified it, then installed a filtering cap for higher amperage battery charging.

Eric sure went the distance with "alternatives". Both MW 525s within my reach here have 4416 GE bulbs which are rated at 12vdc.

I'll try a GE 4515 and see what that does for me.

Last edited:
Eric sure went the distance with "alternatives". Both MW 525s within my reach here have 4416 GE bulbs which are rated at 12vdc.

I'll try a GE 4515 and see what that does for me.
Ah yes, I recall seeing Eric's system. Point well taken on the 4 inch offerings. In my case, I had the choice of not using a head lamp, paying through the nose to find a rare complete assembly, or going with a "Chopper" re-pop, which is what I opted for at six volts.

Either way, Rick hasn't supplied the information on which bike he is using this on, and what exactly he is trying to do, so any further conversation on my part is moot. That is why I like to post reference material, instead of droning on with Ohm's Law- since about half the time, I cant convince anyone that they cant run their 12 volt lamps with a 10 volt max. alternator.

Probably due to my poor memory of who exactly in Mini Bike Land I have pissed off, and which posse they are a member of. Short term memory loss and all that.

[MENTION=51233]Dr. Shop Teacher[/MENTION] ...and didn't I say I was done with this? :laugh:

I have several engines with the coil and flywheel for lights , both Hs 40s and H 50s I just don't know for sure what I have as far as the output. I bought these so I can have a bike with lights and electric start, now I don't know what to do with them. I have a few bikes to choose from. A big wheel Sears Roper, Rupp Xl 500, Rupp Xl 350 , Rupp TT 500, Bonanza BC 1300, etc.

I just don't know for sure what I have as far as the output.
If you looked at the link I provided, you would know which system you had, because the plug arrangement and the wire colors are designative and distinctive. You would also know which system was an option on the H50.

I guess at this point, all that is left is for one of us to go to your garage and with the book, look at your systems and match wires?

I have several engines with the coil and flywheel for lights , both Hs 40s and H 50s I just don't know for sure what I have as far as the output. I bought these so I can have a bike with lights and electric start, now I don't know what to do with them. I have a few bikes to choose from. A big wheel Sears Roper, Rupp Xl 500, Rupp Xl 350 , Rupp TT 500, Bonanza BC 1300, etc.
Yeah, Dave's link is good- start on page 33.

How's it going with this project? I completed a LED head/tail install with a lithium under the seat. Little more $$ than using bicycle parts but more permanent and the headlight can run when the engine doesn't (duh). If originality is not a factor, this is one way to get lighting.

I have a flywheel and coil for a H 50 , 60 or 70 . Came with a control panel that has 2 diodes and a fuse, I am hoping to use it on a Sears Roper with the 10 inch wheels. I bought the bike as a roller a long time ago and it's time to do something with it. I'd like to find a wireing diagram for the bike. I t has a battery box and I think it originally came with a big tecumseh engine. If anyone has a diagram please let me know. I need it to have electric start and lights, and of course charge the battery.