bicycle brake

has anyone tried using one of these one of these band brakes for bicycles on their minibikes, they work on same principle as a minibike band brake but half the width and in a metal housing. i bought one a while back for a bicycle project but with a few brackets and spacers mounted to the rear wheel of my Western Flyer minibike and find it stops better than the minibike band. i'm just curious how it will hold up.

the inside picture failed to show the drum plate that the band grabs so included this picture, the whole set up cost about $20. + s/h i think.

i have one of those too.
do you think the total braking Area is enough for a minibike?
those are tiny brakes...might work for a Front wheel brake?
plus the axlesize n bearing size might fit a little bike,but.....?

i have one on an electric scooter and it works good. the wheel is like 12" in diameter same as a minibike wheel. i think it would work fine. i almost used one on a minibike one time even went as far as fitting it to the wheel but ended up going with different wheels so i didnt use it. anyway i think it should work fine if you dont use too big of a wheel. like even on a bicycle wouldnt cut it going down a hill. they loose grip when they get hot

i had to drill the center hole a little bigger and i have no idea how the smal brake band will hold up but it has a lot more stopping power than the band brake or even the motorcycle style drum brakes on my other minibikes and looks pretty cool. i'll try to snap a picture of it tomorrow .

finally snapped a picture of the bike brake mounted, the other day i was going a little to fast down the road when a neighbor came around the corner and i squeezed the brake handle hard and you could hear the brake squeal and even though i didn't stop on a dime it did a better job than my other mini's when it came to stopping. i'm still not sure how the band will hold up in the long run and after i ride it a month or so i'll pull the assembly and take a look but so far i'm please. i'm switching up to 3.50/10 wheels on my bonanza and planning on this brake set up on it.

Last edited:
i might put one on a bike im working on. ill put it on the jackshaft. should be great for stopping power but i dont know if the extra rpms will overheat it. only one way to find out :thumbsup:

jeep that's what i thought - only one way to find out. i've been riding mind a couple weeks now and they haven't failed or smoked and a few times i've had to brake hard because i was riding like a kid ( fast and stupid ). i wish some company would enlarge the housing and band i think they look cool mounted.

frankster i'll measure the other one tomorrow and post, actually these are off the minimoto electric scooters. do you have a picture of the keystone brake ?

i just realized i think i have one of these stuffed away in a box somewhere that i got in a load of parts. i think for a mini that didnt see much action with a smaller tire and engine combo would be plenty of brake. ive got a 3hp tec thats going on something and i think ill dig it out and use it to replace a scrub brake

ive got two wheels with these band brakes,ones off a bicycle and its on a mag rim.
would be near impossible to get off.
the other is off an electric Razor mini bike and is a 12 inch wheel as well,which literally next to the old school wheels translates out to a 6 inch wheelset...yeah same height n all..weird.
ill grab some pics in the am..if you want.

Frank looks like whoever makes the chinese brake took the design from the Keystone, i like the chrome look of the one's i have - they come in black too and after 3 weeks they still stop better than the other minbikes i have :scooter: