Big Block Drag Doodle Build

Nice thumper man!! Im leaning toward a big block Honda and doing my own frame for my next build, big $$ diff between small and big blocks? Looking at whats on the table Id say probably so.
Wish dem kids of mine'd leave some around here!!

Right there with ya Mini420:thumbsup:

I'm stuck at work for 16 hours but I got a text from my wife that my neighbor brought the crank back. Woohoo! I'm off monday so I should get the motor plate and bracing done.

CRAP! I forgot to post an update.

So Monday was spent on some motor work, not much to post pictures of there. We should have the motors back together with new rods soon.

I did get some time on the frame. I decided to correct the head angle issues I saw. I measured a stock db and it looks like it has 30 degrees head angle. This frame, since it was bent, was at about 27 degrees. Texasfabguy on here suggested 30-35 as a starting point.

It didn't turn out as pretty as I like, because the top tubes are rainbow shaped, but I cut the top tubes, took about an inch out, cut some reliefs in the down tubes, bent it all so it connected, and welded it. Voila, 33 degrees of head angle. This pic is in process, but shows the bent tubes, the amount I took out, and the relief cuts.

Yes as my fearless sidekick mentioned, we got quite a bit accomplished today.

First we got both motors buttoned up after replacing the rods. We then fired both up and let them idle for about 10 minutes to break in the new rods. Motors sounded good and crisp.

While Jason spent the rest of the day assembling his bike, I was able to get the motor plate cut and welded on, then got the holes drilled for the motor.

View attachment 47428
View attachment 47429
View attachment 47430

I'm working tonight and tomorrow night, so the next work day will be wednesday. Still left to do is get my front axle squared away, get the tensioner bracket welded on, get the surface rust cleaned up and the frame coated, and assemble.

Our goal is to spend friday riding and doing any tweaks or tuning to get them ready for the meet sunday.

Dave you guys are really gettin after it and that's the difference between doers and bsers. You set a goal, you do what it takes to be ready and the raceday fun is the payoff.

I was hoping to make alot of progress today, but my backup vehicle broke down on me on the way home from work this morning, so after getting it towed home, I had to get a blown tire replaced on my primary vehicle so I can have some wheels. After that and a nap (I work overnights), it didn't leave much time.

We did make good progress on Jason's bike. He finished assembling it, and we actually rode it! He's got a bully 2 disk clutch on it which took some tweaking to get right, and the motor seems a bit lean (it wants to surge under acceleration) but these are all small issues.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get my bike rid able, so we can spend friday testing and tuning. Stay tuned.

Lots of progress the past few days.

For a tensioner, I decided the stock one was fine, but to get more adjustment out of it, I turned the bracket on edge so the tensioner runs vertically instead of horizontally.

I then built my seat/gas tank mount. No, it's not all that comfortable, but it's incentive to make the bike faster so I don't have to sit on it as long :thumbsup:

The tank is from an old Sears edger with what looked like a tecumseh motor on it.

And finally, may I introduce you to Project Raw Dog. After all of the frustration from painting my street bike only to have it scratch if you look at it wrong, I decided to leave this one bare. I may let the rust even out all over then hit it with clear to preserve it.

I took it for a ride this morning and it feels pretty quick! Acceleration actually isn't bad with the max-torque clutch with stock spring. I don't have a tach on the bike but I ended up letting out on each pass before it stopped pulling, mainly because I have no brakes :doah: The hub or rotor is bent so the caliper was binding up the rear wheel. It doesn't anymore now that the caliper is laying on my bench. My two feet stop it pretty good, Lakeland Drag Strip has a pretty long shut down area :scooter:

Racing is Sunday. I'll report my results.