big fuel problem

So ive been having troubles with my clone recently. Its constantly leaking gas out of the carb. I took it apart and found some dirt in it, cleaned that out. I went to start it and the engine was VERY hard to turn. I figured it needed som oil. When i opened the oil cap, GASOLINE POURED out. I mean, the entire engine was filled with gas. The whole crank case, upto the piston and even ontop of the piston. I let it all drain, about a gallon in total.

What would cause my carb to let gas pou into my engine when not in use?
The float seems to be working when i looked at it.
I have a custom gas tank made of a fire extinguisher mounted under the seat. Is this setup allowing gas to flow to much?

Im going to tear everything down and i suppose in the future ill turn the fuel off when not using it.

125ccCrazy

sounds like there is dirt on the needle seat or the seal on the needle is bad allowing fuel to constantly flow into the bowl and once it's full it starts running down the intake port into the cylinder, past the rings and into the crankcase..

maddcarson

you might have left the fuel shutoff on while you let it sit???? or what 125ccCrazy said. it shouldnt hurt the motor if gas leaked into the combustion chamber and crankcase. It probly cleaned it for you.

vette66_00

So ive been having troubles with my clone recently. Its constantly leaking gas out of the carb. I took it apart and found some dirt in it, cleaned that out. I went to start it and the engine was VERY hard to turn. I figured it needed some oil. When i opened the oil cap, GASOLINE POURED out. I mean, the entire engine was filled with gas. The whole crank case, upto the piston and even ontop of the piston. I let it all drain, about a gallon in total.

What would cause my carb to let gas pour into my engine when not in use?
The float seems to be working when i looked at it.
I have a custom gas tank made of a fire extinguisher mounted under the seat. Is this setup allowing gas to flow to much?

Im going to tear everything down and i suppose in the future ill turn the fuel off when not using it.

What 125ccCrazy said and make sure before you start the engine again drain the oil and add new fresh oil. Fuel in the oil can cause lots of problems and if run will probably ruin your engine.

Yes i always leave the fuel on when its not in use. i never had a problem until now. So your saying the needle is to far out? The air fuel needle? I cant adjust it because its broken. No flattip slot anymore. I guess i have to cut and mod the carb, buy a new one or i dont know.