billet rod for the 97cc 2.8?

Would there be any interest in a billet rod for the 97cc dooble bug engine? I almost already know the answer but I had to ask. I know it's easier to replace it with the 212cc also.

Oh, I'd always be interested for the right price. That price I'm talking about is probably WAY below what the cost would be to produce it. I'd love to make this motor a good little runner. I know some have played with it, and even gotten some good results. I'll get around to it sooner or later. So, if the price of a billet rod is between $12 and $15, I'm in!

Oh, I'd always be interested for the right price. That price I'm talking about is probably WAY below what the cost would be to produce it. I'd love to make this motor a good little runner. I know some have played with it, and even gotten some good results. I'll get around to it sooner or later. So, if the price of a billet rod is between $12 and $15, I'm in!
It would be more than that. They are being done though and the first two should be in my hands next week sometime. One for me and the other for a friend to be tested. The program will be saved and so more could be made if needed. Copper head gaskets are in prosses also along with possibly a metal cam to replace the plastic one. I know it maybe a dumb idea but everyone can't be smart. Oh and these will be made in the states along with the rest of the parts I'm trying to have done.

Last edited:
I know it maybe a dumb idea but everyone can't be smart. Oh and these will be made in the states along with the rest of the parts I'm trying to have done.
That is a great philosophy Stephen. You already know most people are getting rid of those motors. In addition to the joy of coming up with viable solutions to that, you might actually get a few people interested in making them a better machine. Good on ya, and hope this works out. :thumbsup:

They are not popular for the mini bikes but are very good for motorized bicycles. Your rod may be very popular for that crowd, try posting on one of the motor bike forums if you are looking for people interested in hop up parts for that engine.

They are not popular for the mini bikes but are very good for motorized bicycles. Your rod may be very popular for that crowd, try posting on one of the motor bike forums if you are looking for people interested in hop up parts for that engine.
Good idea. Thanks!

Good idea. Thanks! Just was feeling things out with it is all. We are just doing it for fun and thought I would offer. Either way it's getting done just to have a little fun.

Wow! That looks great! Any idea of cost?
Not sure yet. We had to get two done just to get him to make them for us. The guy told me the more I get made the cheaper it would be because the more material he buys he gets it cheaper. The expensive part was doing the program to make them from. Got him working up a price though just in case more is needed.

I am asking the cost thinking in the future of doing Briggs 3HP rods!
Yes I am. Just have to get some time to pull one out and ship it to him. It's me and a cousin of mine that's working on these. I'm getting him started on the 2.8 and the 2.5 ohv and I'll be working on the Briggs and predator 3. He always wanted to do something like this so I'm helping him to do so. Once he is going then I'll get started. Maybe around may/June I'll have something.

Last edited:
The rods were made from 7075 alloy but could be made from 6061 that is cheaper. Also they can be made a little longer if needed also. As for price that is being figured up for those who asked. So would you prefer 7075 or 6061?

CarPlayLB

The rods were made from 7075 alloy but could be made from 6061 that is cheaper. Also they can be made a little longer if needed also. As for price that is being figured up for those who asked. So would you prefer 7075 or 6061?
ARC uses 7075....and they know what they are doing! I would stick with that!