Bird info.

gbones

im 1 week into owning my first mini bike. i have a bird duck frame, and im looking for any info on these nice looking bikes. ive searched the web with not much luck, so im sure this is the place to ask. what years where these bikes made ?, i know the the late 60's early 70's but i would like specifics please. where where they made? stuff like that. any and all info would be more than appreciated. i want to know everything about them. and if you have pics of birds please post them, excpecially the ducks. thanks

G.

Birds were made in Omaha, Nebraska. I'm not sure on the years of the Duck, but I saw an ad & review of the Wren From 1962, and it had a Clinton 2 stroke engine. The later Birds had 3, 3 1/2, and 4hp Tecumsehs. Do a search in the photo album. There should be some Birds.

Last edited:
Well my "penny's" bike looks to be an El Tigre, according to several posts I've found on the net. Cheap chrome flaking off, aluminum pad scrub brake, and front and rear suspension. Did they come with an eagle emblem on the fork plate? At first I thought someone stuck a Harley emblem on it, but after further inspection it's not Harley at all. It say's Wing leader, then drag specialties, then it say's Est. 1968. I'll post pics later.

My dad has one and he won't part with it. I really like the bike. I'll look at his the next time I'm up at his place and check on the eagle emblem.

OldMan

I got a Penney's El Tigre for free a while back... Motor is off and on the bench, but I've been too busy to do much more to it.

No eagle on the front, mine has the STP sticker option instead. :biggrin:

Here's the tag on the motor plate.

Last edited:
Hey Oldman, that's it. I noticed your's was attacked by the seat gremlin too! What size tecumseh you got on there? Anyone know the production years of the El Tigre? How easily do the forks seperate? I want to blast them, then powder. This is my second Bird with no seat, I quess I'll have to put Kbs8ball on retainer!:smile: By the way, didn't mean to steal Gbones post, just thought it would be best to put as much Bird info into a single post for future searchers.

Here's the scoop, or should I say poop?, on the Drag specialties, wing leader emblem. It's a Honda Goldwing thing. So that will be coming off, needless to say. I did not realize they were big back in 1968?

OldMan

Mine had an HS40 on it.... I haven't gone past taking the engine off and starting it's rebuild... been rather busy with too many other things! :sadcrying4:

"been rather busy with too many other things!" I know what you mean, Oldman. I'm currently building a new work shop for my new toy's! But it came available for $30, so..........

The forks come apart easily. You just pull the wheel and axle and simply grab the forks and give them a twist in the direction the spring is spiraling downward.

The Springs themselves hold them in place.