Blockzilla for recreational use?

NewAge

Does anyone have any input regarding the building of a blockzilla engine for recreational use, I realize that they are designed for racing application, but they are so cool looking that I would love to build one as a daily driver. I'm not really sure if OEM parts are even available to friendly it down. A buddy of mine has a killer blockzilla in his sons rail dragster and he said that I was crazy to entertain the idea of putting one of those engines into a minibike frame for riding around the neighborhood.

Are my thoughts the rantings of a madman?

That might be an oxymoron. I dont think Blockzilla and recreational can go together.
And your talking about some serious $$$ to build one. Is it really worth it

NewAge

Well,?? yeah maybe I think it would be worth it, I mean they are really cool and that was kinda my question, are parts available to tame them down a bit for general use without a remote starter, certified full face helmet, body armor, boots, and gloves. If taming it down would make it last a long time and still be bullit-proof then it may be worth the investment. Just fishin for feedback on the topic.

NewAge

I was afraid of that, my personal search for a friendly drag racing motor came up empty, I just thought that because I have found so much great information through this forum that someone may know where to look.

I guess it is somewhat of an oxymoron to search for a slow, friendly drag motor to race around wearing flip-flops and a hawaiian shirt.

Oh well, Back to the drawing board.

With the aftermarket these days you can turn any motor into a rocket. Dont think because you want to go fast you need a giant motor.
Its quite simple to turn a 6.5 into a monster pushing horse power in the teens

65ShelbyClone

The Blockzilla is just an aftermarket 5hp-based Briggs block with more metal and better ports. You can have a factory crank, rod, cam, and bore in one if you want. It's not like a Blockzilla block instantly makes it some extreme drag engine with poor manners.

It's the same with a Dart block V8; you can put stock guts in one and make stock power if you want, even if the block is capable of 1600+hp.

Last edited:

NewAge

I just love those engines, I'm probably gonna have to just buy my buddys trick setup and pick myself up a pair of heavy duty flip-flops.

if you can afford it and you want to do it, screw it, hell if I had the money I would have one.:smile:

and cmon the name just does it, if my name was discombobulatedzilla you know you guys would be scared.

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
It's just an air pump! controlled by the cam and valves. Mild cam means mild manners. big valves and mild cam might ( and let me stress might) mean poor idle quality and sluggishness till about 1500 rpm, but other than that GET ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF!!!

If you're not gonna go too crazy with compression and cam ramps you can run one just fine. The cool thing is you can still run a huge bore so you're torque should be plentiful. Personally, I would put the $$$ into a bad ass flat head briggs then stick a chrome blower housing on it if you're gonna cruise. Good Luck dude

Thanks you guys, I bought the engine from my buddy and he gave me a bunch of other parts and specialized tools at no charge. The whole time I was counting out the money he was shaking his head and smirking, muttering something out of the side of his mouth like crazy sob wudayathinkin (kinda disturbing) and my name isn’t even discombobulatedzilla?? All I’m trying to do is enjoy hauling a** in flip-flops and a Hawaiian shirt, I should have known that this idea was marginally acceptable for any thinking man to undertake, due to the fact that my first instinct was to make sure that my wife had no idea of what I was doing (she mutters out of the side of her mouth at me all the time). Oh well it’s done. Now, after a week to think it over, I have decided to build a custom aluminum drag chassis out of ¼” sheet and live up to their preconceived notions that I am every bit of everything that they think I am. Gosh this is gonna be fun.

I got his backup engine less carb, pipe, clutch,and manifolds for $800, he threw in a cool electric starter and a bunch of misc parts and tools. He sold the dragster/box trailer combo with primary engine installed ready to race. He told me that he knows that there are more parts in his garage and that when he finds them that I should come over and bring him my R/C OS60 propjet with retracts in trade, (I hope that he finds a backup carb, pipe, clutch, and manifolds).

Hey dont worry your not alone I bought a new Animal for a Minibike ,We all know what they cost ,, came in a very cool red box too , It will be one of the winter projects on the board later on ,, Its only money right ??? :scooter:

Last edited:
lil late on the posting i no....but that'll be one fun mini!!! I just bought a 15 horse Briggs raptor at a good price n puttin it on my frame next week hopefully if all goes as planned....:hammer:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
lil late on the posting i no....but that'll be one fun mini!!! I just bought a 15 horse Briggs raptor at a good price n puttin it on my frame next week hopefully if all goes as planned....:hammer:
Remember race motors need more clutch stall to work properly
I don't know what's all in your motor but your gonna need at least 4,000 stall in the clutch. To get that your gonna need a adjustable racing clutch.