Bonanza clean up

Here's the bonanza that I was going to restore but decided to leave it original and clean it up. It came out pretty good I just have to work on cleaning the chrome now. I got the lights to work and the engine runs great. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Cleaned up nice, always nice to see un-restored originals. I'm not a big fan of Brillo or steel wool on chrome but if you have no other choice be sure to use 0000 grade and a rust remover paste like Dupont No. 7 and follow it up with some wax.

Small parts like the headlight/tail light buckets, brake lever, fender brackets, shock springs, etc can be given new life by soaking in a pail of Evaporust (avail Harbor Freight) for a day or two.

capguncowboy

That's an awesome bike and it's cleaning up nicely!

Evaporust works great on rusty chrome (even pitted rust) without damaging what's left. I just picked some up and I've been soaking everything! It's amazing!

You can get bigger items too, but you'll need to buy the 5 gallon bucket and use a plastic bin (that's what I did). All of the chrome from my Rupp TT500 fit except the handlebars.

Last edited:
I think I've decided to sell this , I want a bike to restore and it would be a shame to restore this original bike. It would be a good piece for someone's collection.
I'm going to look for a bike that really needs a restoration but isn't a piece of junk.
Thanks