Bought a mini bike

The places and names are not included in this story.
Where do I begin? I saw a mini bike that I thought would be a nice addition to my collection. The price was good but the bike was located faraway in another state. I texted the owner and asked if he would consider shipping it. He was okay with it but preferred not to box or crate the bike up. I could understand that. It is a pain for anyone to do. I had never used uShip before but I had heard good things. I created an account and put in a bid. A day or two later I had a good bid with shipping so I contacted the owner of the bike and made the deal. I told him he had nothing to do but be there when the shipper arrived. He agreed, so far so good. With uShip you are kind of at the mercy of the shipper because often times they are driving through for other things and because they will be close to what you want hauled they can make a stop and pick it up and keep moving. This means that they may be able to give you an estimate of when they will arrive but you must understand that the time they give you is not written in stone. This was the case with me. The shipper was hauling cars on a trailer but had enough room in the back of his pickup truck to carry my bike. Great price for me, extra money for him. I contacted the owner of the bike to tell him when the shipper might arrive. He responded with “the mini bike is not here”. The mini bike is not here? You gave me your address so I could give it to uShip and it never occurred to you to tell me the mini bike was not at your house? I now had to contact the shipper and work it out with him to pick the bike up the next day. Luckily for me it was not a big problem but instead of picking the bike up in a few hours we had to wait another day because he would have to make a drop off go back for another car and then stop and pick the bike up on his way back through. I tell the bike owner the shipper will be there the next day and he said okay. I think everything is set. A little while later the owner texts me and asked me when the shipper will arrive. I contact the shipper and he informs me that it will be at a time and no later than another time. This made the window of arrival at 30 minutes. I send a message to the bike owner telling him so. The next day the bike owner sends me another message. “Any word on when he will arrive?” I send him the same message that I had sent the day before and asked him if he was getting my texts. He responds with “yes I did but what time because I don’t want to waste my time waiting all night, I was hoping he could narrow the time down.” The time frame I gave him was a 30 minute window. I don’t know how much more I could pin the arrival time down. At this point and I gave his number to the shipper so the two of them could work it out. Finally I get a text saying that the bike was on its way to me. The shipper had arrived inside the window by 15 minutes, he had arrived right when he said he would. The reason why I am writing all of this is really just to vent but to tell anyone out there who is selling something. 1. When you list something to sell, have it ready to go and at your pick up address. 2. Remember that if you are really willing to sell you may have a little inconvenience with shipping times, etc. If that is a problem then say local pick up or keep the darn thing! I am looking at my phone right now and I have 40 messages on it from the seller. There is a lot more to this story but I wanted to keep it short. I must be crazy. :eek:ut:

I see a lot of people talk about using U ship. I was looking at a bike and put in to U ship for a quote and it was $591 to ship a $600 bike..... I don't think so. I have tried it a couple of times with the same (seems to me at least) pricey shipping quotes.

Anybody have the same results????

My plumber wouldn't give me an arrival window of 30 minutes and he lives less than two miles away.

I'd say the seller was handed a gem, the likes of which he'll never see again.

Oh yeah, congratulations on the new bike.

So you wont name people or places but to anyone who took a few seconds, it would be pretty obvious who...or what bike...your talking about. Especially since you posted on the sale thread about the same time. Well now with every story there is two sides. The basic idea is there but some crucial details slanting it to make it sound worse than it is by the story teller...I am the seller of the story. So here is "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say. 8:39 Thursday morning after we discussed the bike and agreed on a price he paid for it via paypal. "so far so good" The he says "I am waiting for when he can pick it up and I will let you know. It may even be today." I told him it wasnt at my house I had to get it from where it was at. Now he originally asked me for the pickup address. Which I gave him. What difference does it make where it is currently sitting. With more than minutes notice this wouldnt have been an issue. So I told him I could have it there tomorrow. (i planned on picking it up that night but didnt want to tell the shipper a certain time in case I ran into any time issues and hold him up) So right away he gets a little snippy and I said you JUST said for sure youll take it and paid for it, you said you were setting up shipping...you didnt say "hes in town right now" Believe it or not people do have lives and as I mentioned to you I work third shift. So then he tells me the guy will bo coming through tomorrow (Friday) night and asks when I go to bed. I ask about when and he copies and pastes his last text. Which doesnt tell me what time. so a little back and forth and then he says "he said around 8:30 or 9:00 at the latest. Well to me that isnt giving me a time. He didnt say he will be there between 8:30 and 9:00 which I would understand and be fine with. Instead I had to stay home for the evening (i only have two nights a week to spend time doing things with my wife) because he will be here "around 8:30 or 9:00 at the latest." So yes the guy got here in that time frame but you never gave me a 30 minute window like you claim only he will be there by 9:00 at the latest. Thats not a window, thats an evening. So even after all that I text him to tell him its on the way and let me see it when its done and he said will do. And now this? How about if you have an issue deal with the seller. Dont make a spectacle and whine about it so everyone will feel sorry for you. Im easy to work with unless you start pushing me and treating me like your the only one who has things to do.

And just so it doesnt seem like Im 'slanting' anything, here is EVERY text message start to finish on this deal. Oh and bikesisbikes, had I been given a thirty minute window Id have been fine. I didnt even get the time warner cable deal of a two hour block. just by 9:00 at the latest. Not he will be there between 8:30 and 9:00 just "by the latest" IMG_5208.PNG IMG_5209.PNG IMG_5210.PNG IMG_5211.PNG IMG_5212.PNG IMG_5213.PNG IMG_5214.PNG

My plumber wouldn't give me an arrival window of 30 minutes and he lives less than two miles away.

I'd say the seller was handed a gem, the likes of which he'll never see again.

Oh yeah, congratulations on the new bike.
Thanks, I really like the bike and he gave me a good deal on it. I am restoring it for my wife so we will have matching ones.