bought my first minibike engine, new to this and i just joined

bought the predator 212 and thinking about buying azusa minibike kit. good kit? or should i buy something else? i am a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic and a certified pipe welder as well. (just thought i would put that out there)

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes ...yea a 212 and a Azusa, could be a good start. You might find a older bike on here or your local craigslist...just saying !

Go with the scrub brake for the Azusa and buy a non Azusa sprocket for the Azusa wheels like the bolt on sprocket ones on ebay, Azusa sprockets suck and adding brakes only makes it worse. A guy here now passed away once turned them true for the cost of shipping, I suppose you could take one to a machinist and get it done so you can start with a good true one or you will cuss it forever. Also get a clutch brake for primary stopping and only use the scrub brake in case the chain breaks or you have an oh shit moment and need both. For the money an Azusa frame is tough to beat, a used roller is a good option but watch for breaks and re-welds as well as rust along the bottom tubes before committing to a purchase. I've bought them for $50 too but it's not as common at least in my region and generally they need everything.

CarPlayLB

Welcome aboard!
I have a roller that needs a new home with a welder! I am in Long Beach, so not far away! Send me a PM and we can exchange info

can someone explain the difference in frames between cat, taco, doodlebug etc.? why are some more desirable?
Because some of us had these as kids in the 60's and 70's. Nostalgia. For "us," these nostalgic "vintage" bikes are worth more due to sentimental value. Those who did not have this experience still realize the value in them, and restore them, or otherwise treat them accordingly.

It has nothing to do with frames, or construction. Some of the early bikes were not all that well built, but most companies who remained in business until the Honda 50 ended the mini bike craze, did end up with suspended bikes built with decent construction techniques.

For some, a mini bike is just a toy, something to take to the woods or desert with the kids and ride. For others, they are garage art, hung up and never ridden, and we fan boys fill every niche in between.

Since you asked the question, I don't think you were around to witness the mini bike craze. No problem, because another good thing about this hobby, is that it's relatively inexpensive to get your "hot rod" jones stroked without spending 50K. A great way to piddle around in the garage or shop with welders, paint guns, and hammers.

CarPlayLB

Well stated Dave! (most of you don't know that Dave wrote Hallmark cards until the "accident")

Like Dave said, the minibike hobby is way for me to have a break from real life and build something with my hands. To me, it does not matter what you start with, as long as YOU are happy with the results. I did make the mistake and put thousands of dollars into a Chinese bike, only to make it worth hundreds! It was not about the money, I just thought I had to have a certain look. I have not raised my IQ since then, but I am into the older bikes now. Reliving my mis-spent youth and feeding the mid-life crisis. "Made in USA" is something that is slowly draining from current generations and us old farts (and fart-ettes) try to stay with American machines, but we also don't discriminate.
I have had Rupps, Powells, Bonanzas, Birds, Tacos, Murrays...but the Ruttman is my favorite! It is small, has no suspension, goes like stink, and makes me feel like the fat guy at the circus...on a minibike!

im 38 years old but did not know about these minibikes before. i can still return my predator 212cc. but who makes a comparable american made engine?

im 38 years old but did not know about these minibikes before. i can still return my predator 212cc. but who makes a comparable american made engine?
There is a school of thought that says the current inexpensive Chinese engine has brought about a resurgence in vintage mini bike restoration. That it has saved many of them from the scrap yard. This may be true. Personally, I enjoy restoration with the old Tecumseh and Briggs flatheads, but that is nothing more than preference, and what this hobby means to me. There are several really good restorations and builds of vintage frames featuring these Chinese motors. Unless you want to spend three times more to restore/rebuild an engine that doesn't perform as well, and is more cantankerous, then stick with the Predator.

Don't let anyone tell you what you should do, or what you should like. :)

You missed the hey day by about 20 years. My eldest is 41. Here he is in 1982 riding a Cat mini bike. It was already old at that time, and it was the first one he'd seen.

Welcome! I just joined last month after buying my first mini too. I have bought and "restored" 3 total since then. Do yourself a favor and set up a craigslist account, then set up a search reminder for key words like "minibike, mini bike, Baja, taco, etc..." and grab yourself a used frame. 2 of my bikes didn't have engines when I bought them, and I did like you and gave them a predator 212. Some guys on here seem to be into Hondas, other Tecumseh, and other Predator. Look all over this site at various build threads and advice threads and you'll feel a lot more comfortable in buying a motorless bike and building it up to what you want.

Side note: im 31 and also knew nothing about the various brands and models, but I know I love riding my Azusa and doodlebug all over town.

buckeye

Yeah, get a feel of it first. See how ya like it.
Then once you are hooked the desire to do a vintage restore will hit you.

Before you know it you will have more engines of different types to play with and get to know.
Fun stuff as well as frustrating stuff.
As Dave mentioned, the old ones can be a bit of a pain.
You'll get the grove.