Brand new hub from mfg supply = problems

Ordered a new 6" hub and wheel assembly from mfg supply a week or two ago. This one:
8-376 - 6" Rear Demountable Wheel Assembly | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply

Got the wheel painted, mounted to the hub, on the bike etc. Noticed the wheel runs perfectly true, no slop in the bearings, but the darn sprocket wobbles back and forth 1/8th" as you spin the wheel. No wobble in the wheel itself at all.

Tore it back apart to see whats going on. The sprocket mounting surface ring part of the hub was welded on slightly crooked. You can barely visually see its crooked. When you lay the sprocket on it, one side of the bearing sticks up a bit higher. This slight crookedness is obviously compounded when you get a big 72 tooth sprocket on there.

Called up mfg supply and they want me to send it back, when they get it... they will send out a replacement. Not real convienient and i guess i get stuck with the extra shipping. Kinda backwards to the way most places handle this sort of problem.

My question is this, am i expecting too much out of this hub? Should i be expect the replacement to be any better? I dont want to waste time and money shipping it back and get a replacement of equal quality. Not really impressed with the quality of it to be honest. The powder coat was already flaking off from rust underneath it when i got it.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Assuming that this is the same wheel/sprocket with problems going on the Sears Roper in your OTHER thread? Unless you are "married" to that particular wheel style from Manufacturer's Supply, I would send it back and get a full refund- don't take a chance on another one. How about posting a wanted ad on this forum for a good used OEM Sears Roper rear wheel/sprocket assembly? I'll bet there is a member out there that has one to sell. These were USA quality-made and run 100% true. We have 2 Sears Ropers and they have NO side-to-side wobble at all.
Michael

Sidebar: Will they refund your $$ even after you have painted it? (Note to self: For future, do not paint ANYTHING until after trying it out first!)

Last edited:

scootercat

I would keep it,and find a machine shop in Your area and have them chuck it up in a lathe and true up the sprocket flange....It will be cheaper than shipping,swapping,wating,and gambling if the new one will be better like You mentioned....This is My way,but I'm also a Machinist :hammer: by trade....Scootercat....

Assuming that this is the same wheel/sprocket with problems going on the Sears Roper in your OTHER thread? Unless you are "married" to that particular wheel style from Manufacturer's Supply, I would send it back and get a full refund- don't take a chance on another one. How about posting a wanted ad on this forum for a good used OEM Sears Roper rear wheel/sprocket assembly? I'll bet there is a member out there that has one to sell. These were USA quality-made and run 100% true. We have 2 Sears Ropers and they have NO side-to-side wobble at all.
Michael

Sidebar: Will they refund your $$ even after you have painted it? (Note to self: For future, do not paint ANYTHING until after trying it out first!)

Ya, same wheel as refernced in the other thread. My motor placement is all set up around this hub and the spacers i have already bought for it. Not really wanting to redo everything again. Guess i should have found an original wheel and hub to begin with. Didnt anticipate this goofy little hickup.

I would keep it,and find a machine shop in Your area and have them chuck it up in a lathe and true up the sprocket flange....It will be cheaper than shipping,swapping,wating,and gambling if the new one will be better like You mentioned....This is My way,but I'm also a Machinist :hammer: by trade....Scootercat....
Sounds like the way to go! Time to call in a favor...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

scootercat

If You run into a deadend,Ship it to Me and I'll twirl it flat for Ya....I looked at the link to the wheel and all I would need is the hub,no wheel halfs....I think the post office has a shipping box thing,"If it fits ,It ships" I've never used it but it will be cheaper I think :shrug:....Scootercat....

I have bought 3 of these and used them on 4inch wheels and never had a problem. I had a damaged one and they told me to keep iy, not use it and they sent me a new one. They are fast to install and a great idea as far as I am concerned. Email customer service and I am sure they will look after you.

If You run into a deadend,Ship it to Me and I'll twirl it flat for Ya....I looked at the link to the wheel and all I would need is the hub,no wheel halfs....I think the post office has a shipping box thing,"If it fits ,It ships" I've never used it but it will be cheaper I think :shrug:....Scootercat....
Thanks scooter if i cant find someone i may take you up on that!

I have bought 3 of these and used them on 4inch wheels and never had a problem. I had a damaged one and they told me to keep iy, not use it and they sent me a new one. They are fast to install and a great idea as far as I am concerned. Email customer service and I am sure they will look after you.
Boatguy,
Thanks for the insight, i emailed em too to see if i get a different response than i got over the phone. Hopefully they will just send me a replacement with a return address label.

cxbra

I would personally ship it back to the company, eat the cost and ask for a return label next time (if they would be so kind). I just REALLY hate buying things that are messed up and having to fix them myself, plus if it was warped out that bad who knows if the hub is even any good (machining defect, heat warped metal etc.)

I would personally ship it back to the company, eat the cost and ask for a return label next time (if they would be so kind). I just REALLY hate buying things that are messed up and having to fix them myself, plus if it was warped out that bad who knows if the hub is even any good (machining defect, heat warped metal etc.)
X 2; then use the refund $$ to buy a used OEM Sears Roper rear wheel/sprocket assembly and do it right.
Michael

I emailed them late last week looking for a different response. I ended up just paying for another hub to be shipped out and they sent me a return label for the junk. Ill get a refund when the recieve it. Not ideal, but i can see a small business not wanting to get burned.

I was out of town yesterday when my parts showed up. About 30 minutes of shop time and an hour of terrorizing the neiborhood today and i am a happy camper. Replacement hub is true.

I didnt have any chain issues although the chain is a bit long and could really benefit from an idler. It slaps around a bit on the bottom side despite the 1/2" deflection i set up on the top. Maybe down the road ill add a jackshaft, maybe not.

after 20 minutes of riding i realized that i should check the mailbox, sure enough OldMiniBikes warhouse box waiting for me with my pipe/ muffler. Great Day!