Briggs 3-5 HP Updraft Carb Fuel Bowl Needle Jet leak.

old shed finds

Hello Guys.. Anybody fight the briggs 3-5 HP Updraft Fuel Bowl flooding? Horizontal Tote Gote 5 HP Engine, The Float was tested Hours under Gas to check for leak and passed ,,, We think it Is leaking at our needle valve fitting gasket.Anybody else have this problem?

If this is the same Flow Jet design I've used on the larger Briggs, with a split housing? I've found that attempts to remove the metering needle while the carb is still bolted together results in improper alignment of the needle and seat in the upper half.

Where the needle meets the brass metering piece is supposed to seal, brass against steel. These areas get damaged from the reason above, and a new seat and needle (and proper assembly) will seal them.

Richard Trotter who is a member here is very knowledgeable on these carbs.

If the needle valve gasket is leaking, it will usually just drip gas, not flood. Oxides form on the seat and many carb cleaners won't remove them. I have found it is good to polish the seat where the needle contacts. I use a 1/8" drill bit and spin it with my fingers, NOT A DRILL!. I use light pressure and check every few seconds. I look for a brite surface for the needle to contact. Make sure you don't have the needle set too low.
I also have the correct tap to clean the threads for the emulsion tube. Make sure the tube is seated but not over tightened, Be careful not to cross thread or strip any of the parts that contact these threads. I also use a little anti-seize compound so they will come apart next time.

Last edited:
I did that too Richard, using "Brasso" polish. While I am okay with this carb, (I know you do like them) I became convinced that a fuel shut off valve was good insurance. (grin)

old shed finds

Thank you very much guys.. And thanks Richard those Nova Decals are very nice quality and look perfect on our bike,, And This Carb is a dripper so we will do this cleaning up on its Needle area, Thanks Guys! !

Check the gasket inside the needle compression fitting. Only tighten the compression fitting enough that it doesn't leak. don't over tighten. I have seen some of these carbs that didn't have the compression fitting so the whole bowl had to be replaced.