Briggs 5hp lighting coil wires hook-up ????

I now have a Briggs 5hp with lighting coil wires.

Never had one before and would like to figure out how to wire them up.:thumbsup:

Also, I thought they were able to keep a charge on a small battery ????

Last edited:
Howdy

I just ordered 2 of those long blocks from ebay myself. Hav'nt been able to find anything on the lighting hook up so far. I know there were minis with lights on them but don't know if they need a voltage regulater, rectifier or connected straight to the lights?

have to see when they get here

Wow !!!! Thanks for the info !!!!!

I think the motors are typical dual circuit alternators????
Both wires are black, but when I looked at the flash picture I took I noticed a red stripe on one of them.

I would post pictures, but my online album site is refusing to allow me to upload right now.

You mind telling me what you paid for 2 engines????

Last edited:
Electric start and the tall dipstick, And the box that warms up the magneto, Im gunna guess snowblower,

Its kinda interesting how the spark plug wire is sheilded,

george3

why did you cut the wires? the wires on all these engines had factory conectors and they were long enough to reach the head light. I guess he raped everything off these engines. he got them as complete engines. I guess he is peaceing them out.

Hey 5 horse

the 2 long blocks I ordered finally got here, one has a dent in the shroud but they look pretty good. Tracked down some more info on the alternators in these things 1.5 amp dc only. check the chart here Briggs and Stratton Alternator Briggs & Stratton Charging Specifications

C and D have the same part #. These are D the alternator is no longer made but the end with the connecter and diode is still available.

the pn# for the alternator is 494254 the older 2 wire
:arcadefreak:

Hi, Ive been researching this and the two wires from the stator connect to a diode assembly part#394251 and a socket wire assembly part#692306 hope this helps.

Rocco

Last edited:
Yeah, I was doing research on this also.
From what the service manual says, two alternator wires means (1) 1.5 amp 12v lead & (1) 14vac lead for a headlight.

The weird thing is, is that the manual says they never made a two wire alternator for the briggs 5hp......

I took my multi-meter to it and I only got a reading when putting the leads on both wires.
I got nothing with one lead on a wire and one to ground, but then again I was spinning the flywheel by hand.
Possibly not fast enough.:shrug:

I used a test light. Put the alligator clip on one wire, stuck the probe on the other with the engine running and it lighted right up.I think the diode keeps
reverse flow of electricity from happening.Although im not sure about that.I am still trying to find out how to regulate it before the battery.

rocco

Last edited:

MikeBear

I used a test light. Put the alligator clip on one wire, stuck the probe on the other with the engine running and it lighted right up.I think the diode keeps
reverse flow of electricity from happening.Although im not sure about that.I am still trying to find out how to regulate it before the battery.

rocco
You need the diode to charge a battery. NO battery, then you don't need the diode... All it does, is change the AC to 1/2 wave DC, and allow the current to go FROM the engine, to the battery. These engines don't put out enough current to even need a regulator. If you don't have a diode, the battery would self-discharge through the alternator coil when the engine wasn't running. Then, your battery would be dead all the time... You can use a Radio Shack silicon diode, and you don't need a very big or expensive one either.

i got one of the connectors off a light coil for a briggs ill see if i can dig it up and get the number of the diode in the plug its like a $2 part .

You need the diode to charge a battery. NO battery, then you don't need the diode... All it does, is change the AC to 1/2 wave DC, and allow the current to go FROM the engine, to the battery. These engines don't put out enough current to even need a regulator. If you don't have a diode, the battery would self-discharge through the alternator coil when the engine wasn't running. Then, your battery would be dead all the time... You can use a Radio Shack silicon diode, and you don't need a very big or expensive one either.
Thanks for the info !!!!!

Are there numbers on diodes I should look for???

MikeBear

Thanks for the info !!!!!

Are there numbers on diodes I should look for???
This will work perfectly. There's multiples for extras:

6A, 50V Rectifier Diodes (4-Pack) - RadioShack.com

The diode would be wired like this. The "arrow" is the diode. The "I" is the line you will see on the diodes body. Solder it in the wire from the engine, cover it with heat-shrink tubing, and shrink the tubing over it:

ENGINE --------->I-------- + 12v to battery

Engine frame ------------- - negative to battery, from frame of engine

I didn't add it, but you SHOULD have a fuse in the + 12 volt line, just after the diode, and before the battery. Say 3 amps.

http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/drawings/allwiring.pdf