Briggs 5hp throttle hook up help please

Ok I'm trying to figure out how to install the throttle grips as I've never done it before. I believe I have them correct on the handle bars. I just don't under stand how it locks the cable sheath onto the metal part of the grip. I think the sheath just sits in the adjuster?

Anyways that's the first problem. Then next one is that I don't know if I need to cut the metal ball off the other end and notch it. But I was thinking if I did that the notch wouldn't hold and would come out of the throttle linkage since it's a cable and not the normal one that a mower throttle uses.

Now I have the parts ordered that were for my my other briggs 5hp.(can't use it atm needs rings) Including most everything in the pic below to hook it up. BUT the engine I'm using now has a bit different set up. I will still be able to use the spring and bracket for the spring in the pic. Buti;m not sure how it's gonna work with the way the throttle moves. And I really don't wanna remove the governor.

If anyone needs anymore pics let me know. I'm just kinda lost atm. My parts should be here tomorrow or the next, but I just wanna kinda figure it out now.

thanks for any help

Oh btw don't mind the kill wire for low throttle. I just left it hooked up for now till I get my new handle bars with the kill switch.

EDIT: heres a bit better pic of the linkage I need to hook to. Also the bracket on he right is removable.

Last edited:
Cut the ball off. Use dremel cut off wheel so it wont fray. Put a return spring on clamp cable housing connect cable.
Oh get rid of kill wire or it wont start
yea I mentioned the kill wire thing at the bottom. Anyways I found a pic that I just need to order a small part to make it work like this pic below.

Edit: I got the ball cut off the end with my dremel cut off wheel so thanks for that tip!

Placed an order with Reikens for the silver bracket in the pic.

Last edited:

This is still confusing me. How do you keep the sheath from coming out of the adjuster thing there? And what's the second bolt/nut there for?

buckeye

When you attach your cable to the engine make sure the sheath is all the way in the housing. Pull the inner cable tight as you attach it to the engine. Should stay once you get that tight with no slop.
Then you will need to zip tie the cable to the frame to keep everything secure.
I just remove that extra screw and be sure to get the inside part that that screw goes into out of the housing as well.
Someone may have a better thought on that. I found it useless.

When you attach your cable to the engine make sure the sheath is all the way in the housing. Pull the inner cable tight as you attach it to the engine. Should stay once you get that tight with no slop.
Then you will need to zip tie the cable to the frame to keep everything secure.
I just remove that extra screw and be sure to get the inside part that that screw goes into out of the housing as well.
Someone may have a better thought on that. I found it useless.
Ok cool thanks!

trailramdan was also very helpful via pms on some of the issues.

Thanks everyone!