Briggs 8HP horizontal shaft engine

I have a Briggs 8HP horizontal shaft engine from a generator. The end of the crankshaft is tapered, and there's no slot for the key. While I have the engine apart, I might as well replace the crank in case I ever want to install a clutch on it. What should I expect to pay for a good used crank? I've seen new ones for about $45, but I can't afford that right now. Any other suggestions?
The engine was built January 1986.

Thanks in advance.

Pasta

There is a crank on EBay now for a buy it now price $24.99 or best offer (plus shipping of $13.00) but judging from the picture the output shaft looks short. You can ask the seller for the measurement.

I think $45 sounds darn cheap for a new crank that large. Are your sure you didn't mean $ONEHUNDRED45, instead of $45. If i had a choice I would buy the new crank if it was only $20 difference for a few reasons:

1)you know exactly what your are getting assuming you order the right part[if not you can return it within the specified return period];

2)a new crank has no wear, especially in the critical crank journal area, so its less likely to knock or rattle with your old rod.

3)if you dont plan to use the new crank right away or never use, keep the original packaging and sell it as NOS down the line and get your money back or maybe make a profit. Which should be easy if you only paid $45 for it.

This is just what I think , I can't tell someone else how to spend their money.
$20 bucks is $20 bucks............. Now $120 bucks is a different story.....

Last edited:

nek

looking for a tapered crankshaft for 8hp briggs

I was wondering if you still have the crankshaft from that 8hp briggs. I am looking for one.