Briggs Lawn Mower vs Industrial Engines

So I got myself a neat little 3hp briggs, nothing special really (except the chrome air filter cover:thumbsup:). The thing is it was an old industrial motor, possibly off a pump of some kind.

Anyways I was wondering if there is a difference between the engines that came on lawnmowers and ones that would have been used in industrial circumstances. Does onehave more torque? Stronger components?

Cheers

I think same hp/ torque, but maybe has pto ball bearing and iron sleeve to last longer. If came off water pump, pressure washer probably doesn't have pto ball bearing, that's my experience anyway.

IIRC, I/C engines came with bearings instead of bushings, & a cast iron sleeve.

The Koolbore engines had aluminum bores & bushings instead of bearings.

Nothing wrong with either one obviously, but the I/C would hold up a good while longer.

just depending on which Industrial Commercial motor it is, some have a ball bearing on the front side of the crank as well.. and the Industrial PLUS engines are a bronze bushing in the block. usually the engine with a bowl carburetor and giant gas tank on top of the motor..

I've heard the race guys say that is the strongest stock block, as the ball bearing block is so thin at the journal, the block explodes rite there, as to where the DU bushing offers a hard smooth surface, it'll handle rpms and abuse far better than aluminum, yet there is MORE block there, and thus a stronger BLOCK itself..

Also, the I/C series generally have better "Stellite" exhaust valves (a stronger steel alloy that the standard valves) at least on the 8HP and the 5HP engines.

Here is an actual Briggs sales flyer I have on the (then) new I/C engines. :thumbsup: