Briggs Updraft carb hook up

:laugh: Haaaaaaa, you gotta fix one of those... :tongue:

No... They are a bitch too.. :hammer: If ya want a governor.. If you go un-governed and it has the bump on the bottom of the motor still, thats easier.. :laugh:

Uhhhhhhhh no... If I think I will build one tonight and shoot ya a pics... People need them from time to time anyways...

They are a bitch... If it's the original 3 horse, that the carb came on... There would have been a little steel block that bolts to the bottom of the engine, that acts as your (Where the cable goes) parts....

Ohhh yoou can rig somethin... :lol: There should be at least threaded holes down below the carb somewhere on the block.. The thing of those carbs is your cable has to be on the bottom, pointed up, to pull the throttle open.. :hammer:

I have four to make but am in no hurry, nice carbs but the linkage has to be made from scratch to work with a minibike throttle. I was going to make something that fits on the mounting holes and a teeter totter type setup. :thumbsup:

I had a pic, but the file corrupted and now I have diddly. I will go take another pic sometime. It wasn't as hard as you think, but requires more alot time than hooking up a clone.

heres some pic of the gov setup on a briggs 3hp updraft

if you look you can see the linkages and the square control bar . at the bottom you can see the cable mount . the link from the air vain to the carb is back wards :doah: hook should go towards the block

the rare as can be mini bike/ cable control nut . never seen one till i got this one most have the fixed throttle nut .

another view of the gov link

here you can see the square bar and the mount for the cable on the block . if you want to hook a mini throttle to it the best way i found is , take a short piece of mower throttle . you want the hard solid wire and a throttle barrel , put the wire in the hole in the square shaft and use the barrel to join it to your mini cable . then figure out how to mount a spring on the shaft pulling it up so the throttle closes when you let off . i had one set years ago but the parts have gone missing . if some ones wants i will figure out how i did it and post it up

Old I know...

But I just got one through a trade and the gov hook up is baffling. In the pictures I don't even see the arm. It was a 3hp carb and I'm running a 5. Creia was kind enough to sent the wind vain thing but I don't see how that would mount..... I'm probably an idiot. :doah: If anyone is willing to guide me through a jerry-rig, I will have pictures of my set up in a little bit. Even better if you have some of your own, reference is always helpful. Back to go ponder.... As always, much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Flexmod3 if you have all the wright parts its easy to assemble . if you look at the second pic in my post above youll see the air vane that bolts to the coil with the mounting screws from the coil . then the link goes from the arm on the vain to the carb . in the pic i have its backwards . hook should go the other way on the throttle shaft .

Flexmod3 if you have all the wright parts its easy to assemble . if you look at the second pic in my post above youll see the air vane that bolts to the coil with the mounting screws from the coil . then the link goes from the arm on the vain to the carb . in the pic i have its backwards . hook should go the other way on the throttle shaft .
Not seeing the bolts that it mounts with. Looked at the shroud for mag that it looks like in the pic it pivots on . I'm not seeing the bent tabs that it looks like it pivots on. Are these specifically on the 3? I am missing some linkages which is probably making this more fun and so I have to make what I don't have. And if it is the wind vain then what do I do about the gov arm on the side?

What I'm thinking is a linkage from the gov arm to the squared arm. Then a linkage from the squared arm to the throttle..... Because the Gov arm has to go down to engage and that the same direction to open throttle... Sound right or am I spinning my wheels....

Last edited:
ooohhhh i see um your screwed :shrug:?

the air vane setup that the updrafts use bolt on with the same screw that hold the coil on the block . as the coil is above the flywheel on the top of the motor . here is a pic of the setup pn a air vane http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-parts/62672-parting-out-briggs-motors.html second pic
the red orange is a 2 3 ? the white is a 5 hp . if you can set yours up like that i would go that way and just pull the gov out of the case and plug the hole :shrug: thats what i would do :grind::hammer:

ooohhhh i see um your screwed :shrug:?

the air vane setup that the updrafts use bolt on with the same screw that hold the coil on the block . as the coil is above the flywheel on the top of the motor . here is a pic of the setup pn a air vane http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-parts/62672-parting-out-briggs-motors.html second pic
the red orange is a 2 3 ? the white is a 5 hp . if you can set yours up like that i would go that way and just pull the gov out of the case and plug the hole :shrug: thats what i would do :grind::hammer:
Ok, good. At least I knew what I was talking about. :laugh: Wish I could pull governor but then I would have the spinning cast iron time bomb issue always on my mind....

Thanks for the help metal. Your pics and guidance saved a lot of headache. :thumbsup:
Will get some pics up of what I come up with later today! And as always thanks all!

I think ya hit the nail on the head. :thumbsup:

Ok Based on what Trotter provided I was missing a pivot arm that mounted near/on the block between throttle and gov. (fig. 463) but that didn't really look like a good set up for a mini anyways. This is what I Ended up with.

Update- No idea... Will look over it some more and update tomorrow....

Last edited: