Broken off bolt

smack it with a brick! No dont . You can dremel a slot into it and try to use a screwdriver to get it out. If you have an impact driver even better. Easy out should be a last resort. Small ones break easy and youll never get a broken ez out out

If the screw is completely flush to the case, you can drill it out and retap the threads, Ive done that with 5hp briggs head bolts. If the bolt is sticking out some then cutting a slot in it and using a flathead driver is a good idea.

drill it and use a easy out they work wonders. and you might not have to re thread if you dont damage the threads while drilling the bolt or taking it out

sounds like your screwed lol. just go and get another easy out and do the following.
1. drill out the easy out you broke off
2. drill a hole the size of the easy out in the bolt that broke.
3. take a hammer and give a good firm tap to the easy out therefore inserting it into the bolt. (the new easy out not the old one)
4. take a pair of vice grips and get them around the easy out.
5. spin counter clockwise until bolt it far enough out to either take out with the vice grips OR just continue to use the easy out.
6. have a cold one and pat yourself on the back :drinkup:

Note: #6 is optional lol

Last edited:
# 6 is illegal for me also.. unless youre talking about a coke. then i shall do it! i think im just going to get my dremel from my dad and just make a huge indent. then slam that easy out into it and vise grip that moth:censure:r.

How did you break it off. Was it all the way in and you over tightened it? Or trying to pull the bolt out and it broke. Sounds like you may have a bigger issue with maybe cross threaded or its bottomed out and stripped out.

I first used a 1/8 bit to make a pilot hole and then i tapped the easy out bit in- i then proceeded to use drill attached to a compressor and pull it out. i barely moved the drill chuck and wammy the bit broken off at the tip

:doah: :doah: :doah: :doah: That's where you went wrong. You are not suppose to use a power tool to extract. You are suppose to unscrew it a little at a time. So it doesn't bind and break. Power tools have lots and lots of torque. Only thing you can do now with the bit in there is use a carbide drill bit to try and drill it back out.

Last edited: