Can I use a lighting coil to charge a battery

I was reading in a thread that you can use a lighting coil/stator to charge a battery if you install a diode. My question is, if the coil/stator is rated at 18 watts, how many DC volts can I expect it to produce since it would take 13-15 volts to keep a 12 volt battery properly charged. Does anyone know?? Thanks

I was reading in a thread that you can use a lighting coil/stator to charge a battery if you install a diode. My question is, if the coil/stator is rated at 18 watts, how many DC volts can I expect it to produce since it would take 13-15 volts to keep a 12 volt battery properly charged. Does anyone know?? Thanks
Probably more than a diode it would need a voltage regulator to sense when the battery was charged ,but that would not be to much of a concern since it would be running lights also I am guessing,,I am sure it would not charge at all when idling ,at 18 watts the amp output would be very low,most of the small engines with 12 volt electric start have dual alternator coils,one 3amp and one 5 amp,one for lighting and one to charge the battery.:scooter:

Probably more than a diode it would need a voltage regulator to sense when the battery was charged ,but that would not be to much of a concern since it would be running lights also I am guessing,,I am sure it would not charge at all when idling ,at 18 watts the amp output would be very low,most of the small engines with 12 volt electric start have dual alternator coils,one 3amp and one 5 amp,one for lighting and one to charge the battery.:scooter:
ya mite not need the regulator . my tractor has only the diode in it and that charges a 12 volt battery just fine .
they dont charge at idle most are rated at 3600 rpm .

OK, I have thought about this too and even went as far as to wire up a bike.It has a 3amp stator with a diode connected to a small 12v battery.So far I've then went from the battery to a starter switch to a selnoid then to the starter and it starts right up with the key.the starter switch also has power up for lights and I am going to hook them up and see how it will all work out.If it turn out to be to much I will have to adapt a generator for the lights only.

It will work fine.No regulator needed since you will have only a 1.5 amp charge assuming your going to use a 12ah or larger battery.Just keep an eye on the electrolyte level.

OK, I have thought about this too and even went as far as to wire up a bike.It has a 3amp stator with a diode connected to a small 12v battery.So far I've then went from the battery to a starter switch to a selnoid then to the starter and it starts right up with the key.the starter switch also has power up for lights and I am going to hook them up and see how it will all work out.If it turn out to be to much I will have to adapt a generator for the lights only.

Nice bike,you got some serious time in that machine:thumbsup: