Can stale gas cause this situation...

I have a fairly old Craftsman snowblower (single cyl., 17.5 HP OHV) that refuses to stay running... I had to replace the metal connector from the plug wire to the plug (became damaged) since I removed the plug so many times to check its condition or to unflood the cylinder.

Basically, I haven't used it all winter because it won't stay running. I am fairly certain that most of the gas in the tank was leftover from last winter. I can get it to start up and it will stay running if I leave the choke full ON.

However, after like 5-10 mins of idling (when it shouldn't need choke anymore), it is like I flipped a switch: I move throttle lever down to turn choke off and go to full throttle and......... it just dies.... I can't even hurry up and move the lever to put the choke back ON because it dies so soon....

The gas we use today has a lot of ethanol, which attracts water. Once enough water is absorbed the gas and water separates. Dump the old gas out and find ethanol free gas (non-oxygenated) for your snowblower or anything that will sit most of the season.

And when you go to put it away this time; drain all the gas out you can,start it up and let it sit and idle till it dies on its own. I've done that for years and it's the safest way.

might need to adjust the valves, i have a arien riding mower with a B&S 17.5 that is about a year old and have already had to adjust the valves a few times. when i first started it will kinda smoke and come to life and im good unless is shut it off then it seems like it gets out of wack and if i manually turn the motor and get the crank aligned it will crank up again. i bought mine at home depot as a return for a great price but i can see why . this summmer im going to readjust the valves and it should run good again.

people brag about the quality of the B&S motors but never been a fan, back in the day i always had a Tecumseh on my minibike and i don't care what others say these Predator motors are pretty good never have a issue. on my Bonanza i have a Robin motor and it runs good too, my Rupp has a B&S newer model and has been a pain to start.

WrenchDad

Every time I use mine I shut the gas off while it's running and let it run the bowl empty until it stalls out, never had a problem with it. Sounds like there is some scale or debris in the carb some where.

I had the same problem on my mini bike all i had to do was clean the carburetor put new gas in and change the spark plug try that out and see what happens