Carb-to-tank gasket leak

vwfan79

I put a raptor carb on my briggs and every time I run it gas leaks out between the carb and the tank. The gasket is new and the screws are as tight as I can get them. Any suggestions on how to stop this? I was considering some RTV but wanted some second opinions before I did that.

the screws are as tight as I can get them.
Thats part of the problem.. Over tightening the screws will bend the tabs over, so the hole carb sits up off the tank in the middle, because the tabs are all bent over..
.check out this thread...

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/b...s/59393-tech-trueing-your-diaphram-cover.html

You have to use a file, or like some real heavy grit, heavy duty sand paper, laid on a perfectly flat surface, then grind the bottom of the carb flat..

You can use a file and go across one way, then the other, and not have to take the filler tubes out..

Get the carb all ground off nice and flat, then screw it down just snug.. not TIGHT, ya know? :shrug:

And yes, some RTV would help ya out a lot, just a fine bead all over both sides of the gasket, just make sure it's not a thick layer, that is going to splatter out everywhere and plug up stuff you don't want it to..

vwfan79

Thanks, so here is what I came up with. I pulled the carb and the diaphram cover and both were out of "true" I trued them both using the method from the thread, and snugged the screws and put some thread lock on them. I also put a small amout of RTV down on the carb not the diaphram cover. I will run it tomorrow after everything has a chance to setup and dry and see how it goes.

old-timer

Scamming Member
I used to use 2 carb to tank gaskets doubled up when I had that problem. I always hated using goop :laugh:

Sounds like what you just did should do the trick for you. Let us know how you made out :thumbsup:

Vic

vwfan79

I used to use 2 carb to tank gaskets doubled up when I had that problem. I always hated using goop :laugh:

Sounds like what you just did should do the trick for you. Let us know how you made out :thumbsup:

Vic
I thought about the double gasket but I've never had luck stopping leaks with a second gasket. I will report back tomorrow how it worked out, I feel this should take care of my problem though.

vwfan79

I ran the motor for a bit today and no leaks. I let it idle for a bit and gave it some revs and all the gas stayed in the tank. I also sealed the governor rod hole where I was getting an oil leak from and that stayed dried too. Now I just need to fix the paint on the bottom of the fan cover from running it on the bench and mount it on the bike. :thumbsup: