Carburetor Damage Question

I was riding my Baja Warrior up a steep mining road today when I hit some nasty rocks and it fell over. In fact if went a little past perpendicular. I was going slow and was uninjured but by the time I collected myself and got back to the bike it had started smoking and died. When I first tried to start it, it was very difficult to crank but eventually started. It was still smoking so I shut it down and exmined it for damage but couldn't find any. When I started it back up I noticed oil leaking from the exhaust so I shut it down and walked it home. I couldn't find any damage so I decided it might be that the oil was coming from the carburetor. Sure enough, after changing the carburetor the problem seems to have gone away.

There doesn't seem to be any exterior damage to the old carb. Any idea what would happen that would cause oil to pour through it like that? It seemed to be running ok, just passing oil into the exhaust.

Oil can spill from the line out of the valve cover into the carb when the engine is flipped as you discribe.

Its unlikely to damage anything but it could foul up you plug.

No worries you should be fine with the new clean carb.
Take the old carb apart and clean it up and you have a spare.

Yup, normal. Same thing will happen if you have too much oil in the engine. If you had run it longer, it probably would have cleared itself out.