CCW engine question

wjustice

My latest Tri-Sport is a 71(?) with a KEC-290. Can anyone tell me a part# for the points and condenser it should use. Looking at mfgsupply.com, they have 3 set of points & condensers that look very close. Can someone shed some light on this or direct me to a parts list

wjustice

I dont know, i'll check in the morning. However the parts catalog I found lists all three as the same part#(25000450). Using mfgsupply as a reference, they show it as part# 01-026. The 290 is even listed in the replacement description. They dont look like those and look more like part#01-023.

wjustice

It a 4 serial (4002562). I dont know whats wrong with it. It ran a few seconds here and there but nothing consistent. I checked and reset the points, has decent compression(120-130 on cyl1 and 130-135 on #2), timing appears ok but I cannot get a good check on it. I don't have the indicator or the correct test light to get a good check. The system always gives a reading to ground (200ohms). I found info that suggests it is supposed to be that way but I don't understand how that is. Can anyone help here?

wjustice

Well yeah. I removed the stator plate to check and compare it to the extra plate out of my Kohler. It seems that it is always going to ground. The primary ignition coil is 2pcs dovetailed together. If I remove it and split them, it all checks fine. So apparently the coil is bad. If I cannot see the points open with a ohm meter then neither can the condenser to fire the secondary coil. The big problem is that I haven't been able to locate a replacement yet.