Champion Shaft Rockers

Found that the shaft rockers from Isky are stock Champion clone pieces. Not that I'm too worried but what would be some limitations on these rockers? My future plans would be to use these on a fresh gx160 off a pressure washer with the Black Mamba, 26 lbs springs and trick retainers and locks?

As far as I know they are nice stout cheap rockers.... There only short commings are crappy 1:1 ratio, valve cover clearance and probably weight... Besides that don't worry about it. I have them in my Gx160 with a Black Mamba cam and some Dual coil 55# springs.

They are good rockers.
Thats all I use since I discovered them.
Yes they are heavy and only 1:1 ratio but they never give you any grief.

When we start to modifiy the clones up here to race one of the rules we decided to use was the stock ratio and limited to 275 rule.
This had the effect of limiting the engine power and keeping a lot of the realy wild race parts out as well as costs down.

Since these rockers meat the spirit of the rule they are allowed.
And everyone uses them because they are cheap and easy to get.
( Adding something here.... )
( My Local suplier for clone parts is one of the largest supliers of parts for power equipment and off shore ATVs and bikes in Ontario. )
( They sit on a HUGE stocke pile of parts and they understand what clone parts are or are not worth their while stocking. )
( This is as much about being able to fix anything anyone brings in as it is about selling parts, and generaly they do not sell parts retail. )
( They provide the local minibike racers and some of the back yard karters with an inventory of these sort of things because they are aware of the us and our needs.)
( Source One is unique in that they are small enough to know what they have and its many uses, but big enough to warehouse it. )
( Most places will not have list of interchangeable and compatable parts for things like the DB, the 165 clone OEM, Honda and aftermarket so you realy need to do your homework)

Absolutely a great thing to add to a limited mod clone and they don't let you down.....
Even better than Honda rockers....

Hmm I should add you will need a Champion valve cover or the Spacer Tim sells...

And the prices...
Well those are darn good prices.
Its going to be hard to get Champion parts unless you come by a used engine some place.
Most places will not even sell you parts without a lot of trouble and the correct part number.
Tim has them, no problems.....

Last edited:
Great news! Yes I did order the extra tall valve cover. Tim has that also. 9 extra beans. When I think of shaft rockers I think smooth motion. I look at stamped rockers on a stud and think how in the hell does that work at all.

Great news! Yes I did order the extra tall valve cover. Tim has that also. 9 extra beans. When I think of shaft rockers I think smooth motion. I look at stamped rockers on a stud and think how in the hell does that work at all.
Stud rocker work just fine.
I find your comment a little alarming from someone with plans to do all these upgrades.
For many years its been common practice to use Honda rockers or Yamaha rocker and modified guide plates. As long as you take things into consideration like rocker geometry and keep things tight they offer little in the way of trouble.

Champion rockers are strong and work well.
But they are big and heavy.
They also won't solve a geometry problem, infact they will make it worse because they less forgiving of bad angles.
They won't break but they will beat the hell out of the next weakest link.

No rocker set is magic bullet.
They are part of a system you need to look at as a whole

Like most things in life like the majic of the internal combustion engine I do find that there is a fine line between runnig good and blowing it upp. And I do have a hard time understaning things as they are. Not that I'm shying away from stud rockers it's that shaft rockers seem more understandable to me. Always have. Future plans are to have most of what Isky sells for valve train. Billet lifters
, chromoly pusrods and stainless valves. Those are all nice looking pieces that I want to have in a engine. I believe what I learned here will help me along the way. I won't stop learning because I love drag mini bikes too much. Doug.

As far as I know they are nice stout cheap rockers.... There only short commings are crappy 1:1 ratio, valve cover clearance and probably weight... Besides that don't worry about it. I have them in my Gx160 with a Black Mamba cam and some Dual coil 55# springs.
Do you really need that much spring?
I mean I run 55# with the same setup but I'm using 1.3 ratio so it's almost needed for the increased lift.

Do you really need that much spring?
I mean I run 55# with the same setup but I'm using 1.3 ratio so it's almost needed for the increased lift.
No probably not, but it came in the kit that Isky put together for me. I participate in the Thunderdrome race so I don't really ride it much except for that...

I always thought of ratio rockers as a across the board win. Its a cam swap with out doing a swap. They also give you high lift without the radical cam "ramp" that would be needed. Most Cams that are high lift use short duration. Low lift cams use a long duration so the rockers are used to take advantage of that duration. Some of what I remember reading as a kid.

Do the ratio rockers help the top, bottom, or across the board? :shrug: Is there any downside?
Depending on the cam they can be hard on the valvetrain and possibly cause alignment issues.
I think the Black Mamba is .275" lift or something like that and with the 1.3's I'm now at .351" so it can turn a mild cam into a high lift cam by only changing the ratio. I have yet to run the motor without ratios so I don't know how much is changed but I do know that the Lil motor is a high rpm screamer.

uhh 1.0 is not 1.1 you will not see the same lift with 1.0 that you would with a 1.1 rocker. with that being said they are built in china so they could be a bit off anyway.

rmm727

uhh 1.0 is not 1.1 you will not see the same lift with 1.0 that you would with a 1.1 rocker. with that being said they are built in china so they could be a bit off anyway.
Nobody ever mentioned 1.1:1 - unless it was implied that the stock, stamped rockers are 1.1 to 1.

Only 1.0:1 was mentioned as the ratio for the Champion rockers.

And yes, 1.0 to 1 is not the same amount of lift as 1.1 to 1 at the valves.

Gets pretty crazy when you try to type a ratio and use correct (somewhat) punctuation.

Nobody ever mentioned 1.1:1 - unless it was implied that the stock, stamped rockers are 1.1 to 1.

Only 1.0:1 was mentioned as the ratio for the Champion rockers.

And yes, 1.0 to 1 is not the same amount of lift as 1.1 to 1 at the valves.

Gets pretty crazy when you try to type a ratio and use correct (somewhat) punctuation.
Lol yeah thats what i ment. You just need a bigger cam with the champion rockers to get the peformance of a 1.1 rocker. The champion rockers are good because they are very strong for the price.

:confused:Bringing this thread back because I'm ready to install these ad have some questions. Do I need a guide plate with these? And it has studs to be installed and I need tips on how to install studs. And probaly can't go wrong with moly push rods?

You don't need the guide plates.
Unscrew the old studs and red loctight the new ones.

Moly push rods are a good idea and you will rpobably want to cut them yourself dependingon the cam you chose.

The Champion rockers are less forgiving of geometry issues than the stock ones.