Checking chain tension - I've searched

When you check chain tension, say you want 1/2" - 3/4" of play, When you measure the play, how hard do you push on the chain? It makes a big difference if you just kind of lift up/down or actually put a little bit of force on it. Because when its about 3/4" when you apush a little it still seems a little tight but I don't know.

Thanks

toomanytoys

I don't think I've actually sat down there and looked at my chain. I just grab is jiggle it up and down, if it doesn't flop up and down then its OK.

You don't want it like a guitar string, you should be able to move it up and down with gentle pulling

okay... toomanytoys, what happened to the tav backplate? I got one now but I was confused why you never got back to me :shrug:

I searched OldMiniBikes and some google. I found the same question being asked on google but not with a good answer.

Does anyone know for sure?

I check my tension with very little finger pressure. I mean, you don't want to have to PULL hard on it to make it move. So if i use light pressure to lift it and it goes any further than 3/4" I tighten it down some. I like it to feel a little rigid when I'm measuring tension. Just my $0.02

I check my tension with very little finger pressure. I mean, you don't want to have to PULL hard on it to make it move. So if i use light pressure to lift it and it goes any further than 3/4" I tighten it down some. I like it to feel a little rigid when I'm measuring tension. Just my $0.02
okay, I'll loosen it a tad then. I mean I didn't push as far as I could, but I pout some force on it. Better being on the loose side I guess considering the Puma has rear shocks.