Clean up your yard or get another fine

Gampy

Hello, I am Gampy and I am new to this great forum. I have never owned a mini bike before. I always like to keep a project or two going. I think this might be one and also just might end in something that some of my grandchildren will enjoy. I live on a tree farm in central Mississippi and have a pretty nice farm shop that draws me to it like a magnet (nice to me anyway).
To avoid him getting another penalty from the city I was helping a friend remove junk that has accumulated in his yard. This junk included 6 riding lawn mowers which I hauled off. This bike was located partially under one of those mowers. I got it also. It was covered with mud, weeds and vines. The pictures were taken after two attacks by the pressure washer. It doesn’t have any tag, plate, lettering or any identifying marks anywhere on it. The engine is locked-up the chains and clutch are rust welded, the tires are flat etc. But it does look so much better after my vine removal and cleanup. I have spent several hours looking through pictures on this forum and couldn’t find any with this double chain configuration. The double chain is only to make the engine work on a frame that is narrower than the engine. The jack-shaft offers no mechanical or speed advantage as both sprockets have the same number of teeth. I would like to know what brand it is or to identify it. I thought that some of you pros might know.
I have really enjoyed my time on the forum. A fun place to poke around with lots of cool pictures.
Anybody know anything about it? Thanks in advance

Attachments

buckeye

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
That is one weird look drive train.

Come on down to Lucedale May 19th thru 21st.
Whole bunch of mini bikes.

capguncowboy

Looks like a Bird bike (Fury, Sprite or a myriad of other names they sold that style under). The drive set up looks like something someone did for whatever reason (not uncommon in this hobby).

the rear wheel chain adjustment slot looks to be horizontal. this makes me believe
the jackshaft was added. cool in any case however!

markus

The bike is made by a company called bird, Due to having the solid fork plate, center stand, cast scrub brake, and bolt together wheels its from the very middle part of the 70's. the bike was called many different things, and also sold through JC penney as a foremost mini bike, but I do not know just how long they were selling them for.

Here is the 1976 version called the war eagle:

Running the clutch inboard instead of outboard is why they saw it necessary to add the jackshaft, I've seen engine plates butchered to get the same result. A lot of bikes get modified or worse to achieve what would be really simple, not a huge deal though I'd change the final drive to a 12-15 tooth and enjoy the benefits of the jackshaft or remove it and fill those holes. You could take the bolts out and insert round stock then burn em down and blend the stock into the holes. It's the best way to fill holes in tubing. Welcome to the forum, you have a great bike to start with I've had a dozen or more Bird built bikes and loved them all.

Welcome to the great OldMiniBikes Grampy You did the best and that is to show great pictures of your project and you got great results. I like the fact that the builder made an effective chain guard for the retrofitted jack shaft addition and yes it is unusual.