clutch engages at idle -whats up?

need some help . just got my hf 212 6.5 on my older db 30 doodle bug. whe i put the clutch on --with set screws, and end bolt with washer, clutch got hot then hell, started smoking after a 5 -8 minute run. took out set screws -no heat - no smoke, but now it wants to engage at idle. why? did i fry the clutch???

Dee

Might be too small of a clutch for the predator.. Or maybe a broken spring in the clutch allowing the shoes to drag , thats my guess.

Last edited:

Dee

If its an old clutch , odds are the spring has lost some tension and the shoes wiggle easy.. No good. So take it apart and if thats the case, u can try to shorten that spring and reinstall it , adding tension, but its a cheap temp fix

idle may be a bit high, does not seem to want to drop in rpm when i adjust down the idle screw, motor is a brand new 212 predator, i have heard of other guys having the same porblem, when you sart her up , it just wants to lurch forward, motor has 10 minutes of run time, thats why, with out a tach, wondering if its the cluch wasted, or how do you get these motors to run a lower idle?