Clutch install on 6.5

I received my Harbor Freight 6.5 today and mocked up the clutch on it.

When pushed all the way down, there is a slight gap of where the bolt will go. The clutch will be able to slide back and forth on the driveshaft.

Is this normal?

Should I put a washer behind the clutch so it is even with the end of the driveshaft?

Also, what is the thread/pitch bolt to use?

125ccCrazy

You can go to a local hardware and buy machine washers, 3/4 i.d, these are pretty thin so you may need 3 or 4, put them between the clutch and the step up on the crank to shim the clutch out flush with the end of the crank or you can use them between the clutch and center bolt but I prefer to have them on the other end...

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Your saying the bolt is to long?
Does the clutch mount up even on the shaft?

You should be able to just run a shorter fine thread bolt.

125ccCrazy

Your saying the bolt is to long?
Does the clutch mount up even on the shaft?

You should be able to just run a shorter fine thread bolt.
I believe he is saying that there is a little shaft sticking past the end of the clutch when the clutch is bottomed out against the step up on the crank near the side cover. The clutch will need shimmed out or shim washers bewteen the bolt/washer and the clutch..

I believe he is saying that there is a little shaft sticking past the end of the clutch when the clutch is bottomed out against the step up on the crank near the side cover. The clutch will need shimmed out or shim washers bewteen the bolt/washer and the clutch..
but don't you want there to be a little bit of play to prevent any binding? all my clutches have had maybe 1/16" of play on the shaft with the proper size bolt in the end of the crank.

edit: i also remember reading about that before on here. it was quite awhile ago.

Last edited:
but don't you want there to be a little bit of play to prevent any binding? all my clutches have had maybe 1/16" of play on the shaft with the proper size bolt in the end of the crank.
Yeah, it wasn't much...Probably about a 1/16. I just didn't know if it was normal or not but that makes sense.

125ccCrazy

edit: i also remember reading about that before on here. it was quite awhile ago.
actually if the clutch isnt worn down on the gear end the center hub will stick out far enough that the drum or bell wont rub against the washer or the step up on the crank.... a 1/16 is good but it won't hurt if there isnt a gap unless the clutch is beat over on the end or worn down excessively..... thats been my experience..

Last edited: