Clutch Removal Question

Un screw the set-screw that holds the clutch on (completely out), and try pulling it off. If it doesn't come off by pulling by hand, use a gear puller to get it off.

Don't forget the two grub screws behind the clutch bell, one clamping the key and the other onto the shaft. If its really stuck use a little break fluid mixed with acetone as a penetrating fluid

Good luck

Then a sledge hammer :hammer: then a new motor because you got so angry you just threw it in the river.

If you plan on reusing the clutch be careful with the 3 jaw puller
That angle grinder pretty much makes the clutch unusable as well. But the sledge hammer works wonders for setting that excessive crankshaft end play. :thumbsup:

george3

Best choise. sell old engine with the clutch. Buy a new clutch. If you want to remove the half wore out clutch, It should be pulled by the sprocket if possable the bell will bend. To do this pull the screws out and if it has a bolt on the end remove it, use any of the rust breaking methods mentioned use a 3/4 inside diameter pipe and tap it lightly, this may help get the fluid down on the shaft. If max torque use a punch and try to free up the key, dont flair it. I would sell the engine with the clutch as I said. New engine new clutch no prob.
Here is one.
http://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Clutch-41-10-tooth-3-4-.html

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and heating the hell out of the clutch and crankshaft ensure a custom oil seal fit. Almost forgot that one. :laugh:

A week in penetrating oil, I had to drill out allens, and cut off ye olden vintage minibike clutch. But hey, the motor almost runs now! :hammer:

sometimes i think george is right if trying to save the motor cut the clutch off without damaging the shaft get a new clutch if trying to save the clutch unless it comes right off don't bother spend hours trying to get off a used clutch when you can replace it for fourty bucks:eek:ut:

Well I think I got the point guys ;) Ordered the new clutch below... Thanks!

Best choise. sell old engine with the clutch. Buy a new clutch. If you want to remove the half wore out clutch, It should be pulled by the sprocket if possable the bell will bend. To do this pull the screws out and if it has a bolt on the end remove it, use any of the rust breaking methods mentioned use a 3/4 inside diameter pipe and tap it lightly, this may help get the fluid down on the shaft. If max torque use a punch and try to free up the key, dont flair it. I would sell the engine with the clutch as I said. New engine new clutch no prob.
Here is one.
#41 Chain, 10 Tooth - 3/4" - Mini Bike & Go-Kart Clutch