Coleman CT200U broken chain

My grandson recently got both a Coleman mini bike from Walmart and a Baja mini bike from Tractor Supply. The Coleman is at my house and the Baja is at his parents. The Coleman ran great for 4 or 5 weekends and then the chain broke. The Baja chain broke in less than a week. The chains on these are fairly small at 420 and I'm sortta wondering whether we can upgrade to a bit bigger sprockets and chain and improve the longevity of the chains. I'll readily suggest that he's never seen some gravel that didn't invite some spinning tires, and he's never seen a bump that didn't seem to invite a wheeli.

Noel

My grandson recently got both a Coleman mini bike from Walmart and a Baja mini bike from Tractor Supply. The Coleman is at my house and the Baja is at his parents. The Coleman ran great for 4 or 5 weekends and then the chain broke. The Baja chain broke in less than a week. The chains on these are fairly small at 420 and I'm sortta wondering whether we can upgrade to a bit bigger sprockets and chain and improve the longevity of the chains. I'll readily suggest that he's never seen some gravel that didn't invite some spinning tires, and he's never seen a bump that didn't seem to invite a wheeli.

Noel
Yes you can get sprockets to fit a more common easy to get size. I might do it if I lower the tooth count.

Is it true the 420 fits a 40 and 41 sprocket? Someone was trying to convince me. I know it's close to #41 but I thought #40 was different.

Last edited:
That's even better! Thanks!
Noel
I counted the number of links in the replacement chain at 99 links, including the master. Somehow that seems like a peculiar number of links. I had an ATV shop replace the chain while I was out of town for the holidays and they stated that they used the Coleman replacement chain.

The part number is 08MA-90 on the Coleman site, so I was expecting a link count of 90. There are definitely not 90 links, so I suppose my question is whether 99 links make any sort of sense?

Noel

trinik7597

90 links is a very long chain !! and if they replaced it with what you already had it is probably gonna stretch and break again

trinik7597

it doesnt have to be an even number !! but that is a heavy bike with a long chain . you should have got better chain that is stronger and doesnt stretch as much .

I miscounted. I must have counted a section twice. Anyway, there are 90 links, including the master link. I also have the old chain, and it is 90 links.
Noel