Coleman ct200u charging coils

So I bought a kit that consisted of 2 charge coils and a flywheel with magnets on it. My question is I want to run led headlights off of it and I want to have a battery. I know I need some kind of voltage regulator/rectifier. But Do either of those have a diode to prevent voltage flowing back to the charge coils? I just want to do this right the first time. So to sum it up adding charge coils, want to add battery for accessories like headlight and maybe tail light.

Funny that's what I just came on to research on how to add a battery to my Coleman and if yard tractor or motorcycle battery would be better
So what im finding is people usually use a 12v voltage regulator rectifier and in my case im not using a battery right off the bat so im gonna solder in a 1000uf 50v capacitor inline with my led light. the ac power going into the voltage regulator will turn it to dc 12v and the capacitor will make the voltage nice and clean so there is no flickering. down the line you would just attach a battery to the 12v out of the regulator then the lights from the battery. I got these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J1XLHC4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 people have used them up to 60v ac and they work good then i got these capacitors https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GXX29X4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well that sounds easy enough I didn't think it was gonna be just hook up a battery but don't sound to bad I haven't even got a chance to look at the electrical system yet head light works is about the only thing it's amazing how bad a bike can be abused in only a year but i got a good deal haha

Well that sounds easy enough I didn't think it was gonna be just hook up a battery but don't sound to bad I haven't even got a chance to look at the electrical system yet head light works is about the only thing it's amazing how bad a bike can be abused in only a year but i got a good deal haha
Always cool to get a good deal. We've had these ct200us for 3 years now and just bought a bt200x for myself. it has charging coils factory on it and my brother wanted headlights too. The stock bulb runs off of ac voltage thats why they didnt use an led but a halogen bulb.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...g-a-light-to-your-mini-bike-version-2.169204/

Yes there are several diodes to prevent stray voltages.
The biggest problem is over/under charging. The regulator will control the too high/low voltage and the battery charger will prevent damage to you battery pack.
I have a couple more articles that may go into greater details.
Please feel free to ask questions.
Does it matter that I plan on using an agm battery? Would I still need to worry about over under charging?

A glass mat battery will work just fine. Yes, over/under charging is a major problem. You can kill the battery in under an hour of engine running at speed.
The little battery charging control board is very easy to install and hind on the bike.

A glass mat battery will work just fine. Yes, over/under charging is a major problem. You can kill the battery in under an hour of engine running at speed.
The little battery charging control board is very easy to install and hind on the bike.
So as I've come to understand that is an 18650 lithium ion charge board. They require a different charging pattern because lithium ion packs can't just take DC voltage and pass it around, unlike an agm battery or lead acid so that kind of charge controller in my mind isn't necessary and it wouldn't prevent overcharging of an agm battery either.

This is a quote from a motorcycle forum about charging if agm batteries.

As long as the voltage is at 14.4 volts, you can keep it there all day long without overcharging the agm (which is a lead acid battery just like your start battery). The only way to overcharge the agm is too force it to take more amps, you force it by increasing the voltage above 14.4 volts, at 15 volts or higher the acid starts to get hot and it will vent.

I still would have a regulated battery charger, their cheap and keeps the max voltage to13.5 VDC. A AC to DC regulator/inverter will not keep the voltage down.
If it were mine......

I still would have a regulated battery charger, their cheap and keeps the max voltage to13.5 VDC. A AC to DC regulator/inverter will not keep the voltage down.
If it were mine......
Well what I'll do is I'll do extensive testing on the regulator rectifier I got over the whole power band of the bike and see what happens. Plus I'm not removing the governor so max 4000ish rpm so it should be alright.

If your running a AC to DC converter the voltage will rise/fall with engine speed. At 4,000 plus RPM you can be putting out more than 18 VDC,not good for your battery. The oly thing a glass mat battery has over a wet cell is the electrolyte is more stable and the battery can take more heat and shock.

If your running a AC to DC converter the voltage will rise/fall with engine speed. At 4,000 plus RPM you can be putting out more than 18 VDC,not good for your battery. The oly thing a glass mat battery has over a wet cell is the electrolyte is more stable and the battery can take more heat and shock.
I'll update with my findings once everything gets here. On the product page the specs list it at 12vdc because its a regulator rectifier. The max people were listing for output was around 13.5vdc

Alrighty update time :D so in short the system works perfectly. At idle the voltage regulator puts out around 11-11.5v and at full throttle it outputs around 14.5-14.8v DC. I achieved this with the voltage regulator taking the AC voltage converting it to DC then an inline 1000uf 50v capacitor to smooth out the voltage then to the headlight. This was a rough test model but functions perfectly. Little to no headlight flicker with a full LED bar.

Attachments

But I like the headlight housing on the bt200x so I bought a led h6 bulb that should fit and I'll run the wires from the voltage regulator to the housing with the capacitor inside the headlight housing. I'll post pics one it's all said and done.

Alright final update. I got everything all buttoned up and I love it. I made the headlight aiming chanel longer so you can aim the headlight higher but other than that it works great. Here are final pics. I drilled and tapped holes in the frame to mount the voltage rectifier so that's nice and clean and gets plenty of air as to not overheat. The capacitor fit nicely inside the headlight housing so that worked great aswell. And these are the bulbs I went with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9RSSD5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RugqFbDFHFC0J
the only thing I have to say about these bulbs is they do have a low and high beam function. With the inline capacitor I don't know how to flip the polarity to actually get low and high out of it so for now I soldered positive to the terminal that gives me the high beam. No big deal. Otherwise these for in the headlight housing without any modifications.

Attachments

Alright final update. I got everything all buttoned up and I love it. I made the headlight aiming chanel longer so you can aim the headlight higher but other than that it works great. Here are final pics. I drilled and tapped holes in the frame to mount the voltage rectifier so that's nice and clean and gets plenty of air as to not overheat. The capacitor fit nicely inside the headlight housing so that worked great aswell. And these are the bulbs I went with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9RSSD5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RugqFbDFHFC0J
the only thing I have to say about these bulbs is they do have a low and high beam function. With the inline capacitor I don't know how to flip the polarity to actually get low and high out of it so for now I soldered positive to the terminal that gives me the high beam. No big deal. Otherwise these for in the headlight housing without any modifications.
Thanks for your posts!

I make these for the tecumseh hs50 lighted motors to get DC for leds. On the dual coil clones I had to use the cheap eBay 4 wire regulator/rectifiers to prevent led failure from too high voltage