Comet 40 series and 8-1/2" driven HELP!

I just posted some new project pics of my Sears project - I called it my Sears Rat Rod Drag Beast. Yeah, I know that's dumb. My question is in regard to the Driven half of my clutch. I assume it's a Comet clone (driver is stamped Comet & driven is not - both came from BMI). How can I tell if the spring goes out or in?? I've installed it "in" but it did not engage on my first test ride. Admitted, I did not blast the thing, considering I have not attached the foot pegs yet. I did get it up to 25-30 I'm guessing but I never saw the belt move from its outer most position. I looked at my old stock 20 series and at a Salsbury driven but both are not the same design as the 40. Any knowledge on this subject out there?

Well first off your alignment is so far out it should of made you stop when you installed it.
The driven half's center line with the belt off must line up with the center of the driver and I mean exactly on the center of the area between the two tapered faces of the driver.
A 40 series is a symmetric system so your set up is right the two movable faces have to on opposite plains like you have it now. but you must align the driver to the driven for the system to ever shift.
Steve :scooter:

george3

It looks correct. need more speed to engage the driven. the brackets are too weak. looks out of wack. Your going to rip them bolts out.

Last edited:
Looks like both answers may be right... I'm making a bushing to move the driver out about .15" and the adjusted the motor so it better squared up. The on-center dimension was off about .25" also. I'll put my foot rests on her before I test it again too. The jack-shaft mounting plates are original 3/16 plate. I already planned on adding some extra brace supports especially to the spacer I added to make room for that massive driven unit. I appreciate the insight guys, I'll report back on my progress! Thanks!

Boys & girls, we have a winner! A simple case of EVERYTHING was off just a little bit. Alignment, tension and having the nuts to give this thing a handful of throttle! Problem solved. Thanks guys...:drinkup:

These units take off well but fall on their face early due to the fact that the driven unit opens up to soon, drill two more holes like you married unit has and tighten the spring, it helps quite a bit, the smaller married units work better for any kind of racing, change it to the yellow spring and go to the hole that puts the most tension on the spring.