Converted Mower Go Kart with wheelie Bar

Hi guys, Have A new project to start, I shoud get it saturday. Its a husky mower made by Mtd. It has been made into a Go Kart, Not by me but still cool. My question is it has no engine on it and i was wondering If a 5.5hp or 6hp would work on it. The guy I am getting it from said he had a 12hp engine on it. I am just trying to fiqure out if these engines would work. Thanks all for your time and knowledge

Last edited:

joekd

You are going to want more then a 6.5 on that frame, mowers aren't as light as regular karts and will more then likely need the extra power

What is it running for a driveline?

Do you already have an engine of some sort??? if so just use it until you can get ahold of something a bit bigger if not then go with atleast a 10HP.

Tractor engines are easy/cheap to come by just ask around and watch for freebee's on craigslist, lots of people just give away old tractors for free or next to nothing.

I have a few tractors around here right now.(6 plus a couple of engines laying around)

joekd

I ask about the driveline because you need to first determine if it is a horizontal or vertical shart motor

Pretty sure (but not positive) the MTD was a vertical

No I don't have an engine yet, I had just saw one at harbor Freight that was only 89 bucks. from the picture it looks like a Vertical Shaft. thanks for all the Help.

A 14.5 briggs I/C single cylinder vertical shaft is a good choice, also pulleys can be changed to effect top end or torque depending on what you want. There are racing mower forums but dont forget about us, a wealth of knowledge exists here and I for one love what you're doing. I have an old rider I use for pushing cars and whatever else, I call it my billy goat. Keep up the good work and keep us informed on your progress!:thumbsup: