Cool Russian snow machines

Ask you wife what a really good voldka would be...I'd love to try some that can actually be consumbed without anything.

Ask her to keep the price within reason.:pimp:

Grey Goose is one of the best in the US.

We always bring vodka back when we travel, we look like alcoholics at the airport!

BTW, real Russians drink vodka usually at parties and social events and not to get drunk, just a cultural thing. Plus they know how to consume it, always with food or greasy sausages that help coat your belly so that it absorbs slower.
Funny story, my by marriage Russki grandfather, 90 years old, can drink me under the table, know how???? After riding the bus over to parents apartment he would eat half a stick of butter straight to coat his stomach then we would do shots! Then he would ride the bus home, strong people!!

I have seen a few of these machines before....and a few others. Inginuity at its finest. Imagine some of these guys are in the middle of no where and have little to no access to parts, tools, etc. Its not like they have a harbor freight and napa just around the corner. Love this kinda crap....making something out of nothing.:thumbsup:

Ask you wife what a really good voldka would be...I'd love to try some that can actually be consumbed without anything.

Ask her to keep the price within reason.:pimp:
Good well distilled Vodka has few impurities and a clean taste.

Cheap Vodka, well has some after tastes.

A poor man's trick is to run cheap Vodka through a charcoal drinking water filter.
It will never be a premium product after all but the carbon filter can improve the taste.....

One of the nice things about Vodka is it goes with everything.
I'm not a Vodka drinker myself ( won't go out of the way for it )
I like a shot with smoked whitefish.
The two complilemt each other like few things in life lol ( Fins are big on smoked and dried fish with ther Vodka ).

Vodka and caviar good good too..

Vodka aged with some pepper corns is a remedy for sore joints and a chest cold ( used as a liniment rather than consumed ).
And a shot of that will clear your head cold up too.

In parts of Poland and Ukraine, its traditional to snack on rye bread dipped in some salt and a chaser of Vodka ( not my thing but I tried it ) at family get togethers ( sort of a primer for the evening not sure exactly what it signifies).
There's some symbolism too it more than actulaly being a thing you would eat by yourself.
Kind of like the pumpkin pie at thanks giving or the fruit cake at a wedding like we do here.
Also its something you do when you vissit the graveyard ( this is a Ukranian thing but probably crosses to other slavic and nordic countries ).
A shot for the dead and some bread and salt.

The significants of some of these customs is lost on me though.
They have not carried over to my generation.

Interesting.

Good well distilled Vodka has few impurities and a clean taste.

Cheap Vodka, well has some after tastes.

A poor man's trick is to run cheap Vodka through a charcoal drinking water filter.
It will never be a premium product after all but the carbon filter can improve the taste.....

One of the nice things about Vodka is it goes with everything.
I'm not a Vodka drinker myself ( won't go out of the way for it )
I like a shot with smoked whitefish.
The two complilemt each other like few things in life lol ( Fins are big on smoked and dried fish with ther Vodka ).

Vodka and caviar good good too..

Vodka aged with some pepper corns is a remedy for sore joints and a chest cold ( used as a liniment rather than consumed ).
And a shot of that will clear your head cold up too.

In parts of Poland and Ukraine, its traditional to snack on rye bread dipped in some salt and a chaser of Vodka ( not my thing but I tried it ) at family get togethers ( sort of a primer for the evening not sure exactly what it signifies).
There's some symbolism too it more than actulaly being a thing you would eat by yourself.
Kind of like the pumpkin pie at thanks giving or the fruit cake at a wedding like we do here.
Also its something you do when you vissit the graveyard ( this is a Ukranian thing but probably crosses to other slavic and nordic countries ).
A shot for the dead and some bread and salt.

The significants of some of these customs is lost on me though.
They have not carried over to my generation.
Interesting. I have some Ukrainian in my heritage. My dad drank more beer than he did vodka T his talk of drink and food has me hungry! I love polish and ukrainian food. Had much Borscht soup, Petehe (pierogis), Holupchi(stuffed cabages w meat, rice and barley), ham, kraut and sausage, rye bread... those older woman who made this food at the church I went to growing up rocked. My sister used to think it was weird when we set places at the table for my parents deceased parents. My parents never did the shot thing when we visited the cemetery. I remember a few other customs...

Some of the snow machines are cool. I'm a ice fisherman and could see myself using that thing he's riding with the track and minibike looking frame. Never got out on the lakes last year in southeast Michigan, it was too warm, ice wasnt good enough. Now, on the ice while fishing, Vodka and beer has been known to come out....my own ukrainian tradition!

Last edited:
Interesting. I have some Ukrainian in my heritage. My dad drank more beer than he did vodka , Vodka and beer has been known to come out....my own ukrainian tradition!
Your Dad might have a taste for квас ( pronounced K-VAS )
Lots of poeple used to make it at home from stale crusts and rye bread and sugar.
You could hop it if you had something to use as a bitter but thats a little harder to come by ( I have a wild hops in my back yard from the Czec republic an old friend of mind smugled here for me many years ago ).
Its very much like a Saz but not as flowery or with as much snap as a cultivated variety....

Before I start to ramble ya beer is alot more common and even light beers than most people realize in slavic culture
It was easier to make and cheap.

Where you have grains you have beer and spirits.
And stills.......

My family came here and set up a farm on 160 acres in the Ottawa valey.
Booze followed.
They did not make Vodka though.
The made Rye wiskey ( rye/2 row barely/wheat what ever hwas handy and easiest to mash ).
There are all kinds of wiskey in the world made all kinds of ways.
But you can geta fairly good idea the origins of the poeple and place it was made by the ingredients and methods used.

Another tradition, if you want to call it that is sweet wines.
The former soviet repulic of Georgia is the prime producer of sweet and fruit wines of the style I am familiar with and think of as eastern wines.
I even make some ( but again with a Canadian slant because we don't have fruit trees and grapes growing wild like in Georgia )
Some of my relatives like the sweet fruit wines after dinner or with a deseart ( my brother like to put my Blueberry win ON his cake lol ).
Ukranian inlaws drank it here and did not bat an eye at it.
Guess its close enough to proper deseart wine for their taste or they are real polite lol.

Other can't stand them, my wife says that shit will rot your teeth out of your head and burn out your pancreous.

Beers....
About the only Russian beer I ever like was called something like Starry mill ( forget exactly.
I realy didn't like it all that much to be honest.
But the poles made some beers I REALY like such as Ziewic

Thread was abolut home made snowmachines.

My nefew sent me some picture of a dune buggy he made out of a old Soviet car something like VW bug ( only eal ugly ) called a ZAZ.
I need to post some pictuyre of that if I can find them.