cost of shipping small items.

I wish i had ordered a timing advance key with my recentorder from NR. I was going to order one just now but the lowest shipping they have is 10 bucks. A large flatrate box is 10 bucks. A timing key is the size of a penny. I wish they had more accurate shipping costs rather then 10 bucks NO MATTER WHAT you get. Im kickin myself now. Guess ill just wait until i order more parts. ARe there other places to buy a key?

you also have to figure in handling time. that doesn't amount to much though.

$10 shipping for a key is ridiculous. it's one of those things that you order when you're getting other parts because it usually won't add to shipping.

that's why you need to plan stuff out ahead of time. :smile:

mybiz

Shipping cost for small items suck! Someone here was selling what your wanting. Search around. $10 is wacko for a key. I just shipped a bonanza roller to CA for $38.58 UPS.:doah:

I checked out the keys birggs boy has. there just plain keystock. He will file them if needed to advance the timing. Good offer but i can get key stock for like 50 cents and file it myself. Like i said ill just have to wait until i order new parts.

i have the flywheel keys for 5.00 each shipped.

and just for the info, all the flywheel key are just regular keys filed or milled, from nr, affordable go karts ect.... i just offer them for a much more reasonable price.

:thumbsup:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Today I ordered some valve seats from ARC racing. The seats can be shipped by mail in a envelope for $1. But they never do it that way. It's gonna cost me $8 for 7 days shipping UPS. And even flat rate envelope priority mail is only $4.25 for 2-3 days.

I checked out the keys birggs boy has. there just plain keystock. He will file them if needed to advance the timing. Good offer but i can get key stock for like 50 cents and file it myself. Like i said ill just have to wait until i order new parts.
when exactly did you check out my flywheel keys ?

if you can get them for .50 and do them yourself why are going to order one from nr ?

I looked at your post showing your price and all. Someone posted a link to it in the second or third post in this thread. Tractor supply has flywheel keys, as well as Ace hardware and all those other parts places. Napa probably. You can get the cuved ones or just straight stock about 3 inches long. those are like a buck. I wanted to get it from NR because its an exact measurement, it can not wiggle around due to extra space in the keyway and... yea thats about it. I could file the key but i dont know.... i dont really like the idea.

Why don't you just lap the Flywheel and Crank and do with out the damn key? Its easy to do. Half way is about 8 DEG. Look at the attached picture to get a better Idea of what I'm talking about.

We have gone over this in the past. Most race motors are beyond the keyway and work perfectly fine. Works for me also. Im pulling my motor tomorrow so I can get actual pictures of it if you want.

Take your $5 and go to your local auto parts store and by some lapping compound. It has many uses and later when you want to lap your valves you will have the compound already.

Last edited:
Ive seen the thread withthis photo in it. i know all about that. I dont really get how the flywheel stays put on the crank otherwise. just friction?

the taper is what actually holds the flywheel on. that's why it doesn't just fall off when you remove the flywheel nut. friction is the easy way to explain it.

As Strigoi said its a taper.

Also a milled or filed down key is not as strong as a solid key is. One good backfire or kick back and your advanced key is toast and you have to replace it. Hopefully it doesn't take out the crank shaft keyway.

I'm going to try this weekend and make a video of lapping a flywheel to the crank. Will see.

Last edited:
I looked at your post showing your price and all. Someone posted a link to it in the second or third post in this thread. Tractor supply has flywheel keys, as well as Ace hardware and all those other parts places. Napa probably. You can get the cuved ones or just straight stock about 3 inches long. those are like a buck. I wanted to get it from NR because its an exact measurement, it can not wiggle around due to extra space in the keyway and... yea thats about it. I could file the key but i dont know.... i dont really like the idea.
mine are exact fit no wiggle room.

also if you notice all of the key sold from every kart shop are "approximately" that degree, being all the varying difference in all the different clone engines.

if you would like i will give you a free keyway, just pm your address and what degree you want and ill send it out tomorrow.

the number 1 reason people shear flywheel keys is because they do not tighten them enough.
Ummmmm ok which is why you lap the 2 together to get them to seat. Its a way better fit and you will never need a $5 key of even a free one.

I spent a couple years racing go karts never not one time did I have a key. We used a Degree wheel and lapped the flywheel to the crank every couple of times we changed the timing.

I dont care how he does it. Im just trying to save the guy a couple bucks along the way. Free mods are the best mods.

Last edited: