Crack in differential

2SlickNick

Hey guys,
as I was cleaning up differential I noticed a crack in the bushing. This might have already been there or maybe I caused it when removing axle - :shrugs:

I don't know how to remove or even where to get another......

Should I just apply a small light coat of jb weld to prevent any further cracking? or just let it be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01XU3A5ylpg

personally id leave it be, maybe a little sandpaper on the edges to make sure nothing could catch it or dig into anything. then lots of grease. think about how old this unit is, and how much abuse it probably withstood to get that crack... i would think it would be fine

That sleeve bearing can be pressed out. Heat up the aluminum housing. It should expand more than the sleeve and it should be easy to press it out.

The interesting part would be finding another sleeve with the right dimensions.

Talk to gumpit. I believe he said he is selling some. Or northern tool sells them along with other places. I personally would ride it until it's dead.

2SlickNick

Thanks for everyone's opinion.
I guess I will just ride it until it dies. The axle still slides in without resistance. I think I will apply just a dab of jb weld to the crack just to hopefully prevent the crack from growing. True it must have taken some abuse to get a crack in hardened steel.

When or if it finally goes, that will more than likely destroy the whole aluminium housing too and probably gears.

If I were to get it pressed out, it would probably cost a pretty penny to machine a bushing, and it will probably not form to aluminium as nicely as 1st one.... maybe.

Maybe I will hit Gumpit up.....the northen tool one is a longer axle and I really want to keep everything stock.

And ......Lol. If I see a " Lester " around I will ask him too.

Thanks for everyone's opinion.
I guess I will just ride it until it dies. The axle still slides in without resistance. I think I will apply just a dab of jb weld to the crack just to hopefully prevent the crack from growing. True it must have taken some abuse to get a crack in hardened steel.

When or if it finally goes, that will more than likely destroy the whole aluminium housing too and probably gears.

If I were to get it pressed out, it would probably cost a pretty penny to machine a bushing, and it will probably not form to aluminium as nicely as 1st one.... maybe.

Maybe I will hit Gumpit up.....the northen tool one is a longer axle and I really want to keep everything stock.

And ......Lol. If I see a " Lester " around I will ask him too.
Is there any play / slop between the axles and the bushings? If not, ehh, Run 'R till she blows! :gun_bandana: And then buy a diff from Gumpit. :deal: Better yet, buy another diff anyway to have as a spare. I'm seriously thinking of buying one for a spare as well.

Shawn

Last edited:

2SlickNick

Is there any play / slop between the axles and the bushings? If not, ehh, Run 'R till she blows! :gun_bandana: And then buy a diff from Gumpit. :deal: Better yet, buy another diff anyway to have as a spare. I'm seriously thinking of buying one for a spare as well.

Shawn

No slop...but I am considering asking him.

I don't think there any videos. But those diffs are super simple and there are only a few parts. Each axle has a bevel gear that is retained by a C-clip and there are two spider gears that are held in by a steel pin and that's it! The hardest part will be removing the old grease.

Shawn

2SlickNick

I don't think there any videos. But those diffs are super simple and there are only a few parts. Each axle has a bevel gear that is retained by a C-clip and there are two spider gears that are held in by a steel pin and that's it! The hardest part will be removing the old grease.

Shawn
I can always upload a vid of mine when I start reassembly this week. Mine actually is held in place with bolts instead of c clips. But still easy peasy.