crankshaft adapter needed for torque converter

Luc

Hi there,
I am planning to use the GTC 1003 1'' bore torque converter (like GTC TC2 1003 Gokart Torque Converter 30 Series)
on my development mini bike (http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/79404-patagonic-trail-cruiser-2.html)

The engine would be a Honda Clone 200cc 4T, which as sold here in Argentina comes with a crankshaft length of 50mm (2 inch) and diam=22mm (0.86inch).

I was planning to design and build an adapter which fits in the crackshaft and adapts both diameter and length with the GTC.

The question is:
- what is the minimum crankshaft length needed to install the torque converter like this. Is 50mm enough or I need more length.
- How difficult would be to take a 3/4 inch bore and try to machine it to 0.86inch bore.

If anybody has any comment or advise on both question it would be welcomed.
Best regards.

Luc

yes but, I need also to confirm that the 50mm crank length is enough before switching to this option. Someone commented that possible 50 is not enough, therefore needing an adapter anyway...

125ccCrazy

if you have an extra 1" crank you can cut off the amount needed, drill the center through with a 5/16 drill bit and bolt it to the crank along wih the clutch..

Luc

if you have an extra 1" crank you can cut off the amount needed, drill the center through with a 5/16 drill bit and bolt it to the crank along wih the clutch..
you mean like a spare 1'' crank?
In line with this i was planning to take a piece of steel and made machined to custom specs.
I can lathe it to 1'', drill the center, bolt it into the crack center thread, and also make a key slot in line crank slot and put a key between the two pieces.

Here is the type of crank I am expecting to receive with the engine.

What do you think?

125ccCrazy

you mean like a spare 1'' crank?
In line with this i was planning to take a piece of steel and made machined to custom specs.
I can lathe it to 1'', drill the center, bolt it into the crack center thread, and also make a key slot in line crank slot and put a key between the two pieces.
yep...I've done this with standard length cranks when using a tav2 with the mounting plate...I took an old crank, used the center hole as a guide and driled it all the way through after I cut it to the length I needed but if you have access to a lathe then your in business... If you have numbered drills use one that the bolt will just slip through the hole snug... this is easier than making a piece if you have an old crank laying around..

Luc

yep...I've done this with standard length cranks when using a tav2 with the mounting plate...I took an old crank, used the center hole as a guide and driled it all the way through after I cut it to the length I needed but if you have access to a lathe then your in business... If you have numbered drills use one that the bolt will just slip through the hole snug... this is easier than making a piece if you have an old crank laying around..
ok. thank you.