Crankshaft holder

Could use a lock collar and weld the tab on it cheaper than $24. I am going to try and make one of these as I use an old clutch drum currently. I'll let you know the outcome. I think I'll get the ones in the below link and grind the zinc off. My only question is if the set screw will fit in the crank groove. The EZ bore one says it's indexed to stop your piston at TDC. Good idea.

(10) 3/4" SHAFT SOLID STEEL ZINC PLATED SET SCREW COLLAR STOP SC75 | eBay

Last edited:
I believe this is going to work just fine. Just had to grind off the zinc, bend one 3" piece of steel, drill one hole, and my next steps are to weld the L bracket to the collar. The bolt going into the side cover is a 1" long bolt, but bottoms out. Can use 2 washers or cut down the bolt to 3/4" long, I opt for the washers, less time. Ill get this sent your way hopefully Monday. Just need to weld it.

That dog will hunt. You got what, less than $5 in that $25 tool?
Yeah, $14 in collars, $5 in hardware, and $5 in steel. $24 to make 10 of them versus $25 to buy one online. Welding wire/gas would be pennies. Plus, its just fun to make chit. Roughly $2.40 each.

Last edited:
Thats just crazy. If they are producing them then you know they are getting a better price than you on materials by buying in bulk. I could see selling them for $5 maybe even $10 with "free" shipping. That fancy wing bolt isn't worth $22. Most mechanics have the tools to make something simple like this and being that greedy just about forces us to make our own. It's not like its some precision tool like a degree wheel. Yours looks as good or better.

If you want one of those fancy bolts lowes used to carry a limited selection of them. Might be a bit costly from there but just buying one or 2 it might be worth the convenience of walking in and easily grabbing it today.

Last edited:
Thats just crazy. If they are producing them then you know they are getting a better price than you on materials by buying in bulk. I could see selling them for $5 maybe even $10 with "free" shipping. That fancy wing bolt isn't worth $22. Most mechanics have the tools to make something simple like this and being that greedy just about forces us to make our own. It's not like its some precision tool like a degree wheel.
I agree. I just took my grinder and knocked the Grade 8 bolt down on the tip, so it fits in the groove. Crude, but easily done. Plus you can use a wrench or a socket instead of finding an allen wrench which is always a pain for the sidecover bolt.

Last edited:
Bent

Got an update on this. I just wanted to pass along this info, if you make some of these for yourself. Mine twisted, I torqued it to 54 foot lbs. and it started to twist. The L bracket is the part that twisted. My solution is to add a gusset to it, to make it not twist, or get thicker metal for the L bracket. Will make a new one and try it out and update with my results.

Last edited:
clamp2.jpg clamp.jpg

Made one in a different style. Just need to drill a 3/4" hole and weld two tabs on. Tips: Go bigger on the hole and don't weld right up to the hole. I had to file the weld away to make it fit. Otherwise works great.

View attachment 91820 View attachment 91819

Made one in a different style. Just need to drill a 3/4" hole and weld two tabs on. Tips: Go bigger on the hole and don't weld right up to the hole. I had to file the weld away to make it fit. Otherwise works great.
Looks good, so you hold it with your hand while torqueing it? Or just clamp it down. I bought some 1/4" steel to use instead of 1/8", if you bend 1/4" steel torqueing to 54 foot lbs. you have done something.

Back in my younger days......I used an old washing machine pulley. It was about 8" in dia. and stamped with a solid web. I just drilled a few holes in the right places for a bolt.

Back in my younger days......I used an old washing machine pulley. It was about 8" in dia. and stamped with a solid web. I just drilled a few holes in the right places for a bolt.
Nice. Did you use the key to stop the crank from spinning or something else?

At first I thought I could get away with just a set screw, but after I buggered up a keyway, I always used a long key after that.

I had a feeling that would bend. But that means your weld is strong lol
Yeah, that's the plus I guess lol. I got some 1/4" thick flat steel to use, and it will be hard to bend by hand in my small metal brake, so surely it wont bend while torqueing. Gonna find out anyways.

I was thinking on the original crankshaft lock/ holder, why not weld on an additional angle bracket to the collar? I suppose a gusset will also do the trick on the single angle bracket.