CT70 Headlight question

HI All
I just picked up a '79 CT70 that is in pretty decent condition. Not as good as I had hoped, but not that big of a challenge either.

My first step is to get it street legal and get it registered.
My first question is about the head light. The high and low filaments are popped so I figured that I would just need to replace the bulb. Turns out that it isn't just a bulb, but it doesn't look like a normal sealed beam. There IS a bulb in there but the back seems to be soldered into place and doesn't look replaceable.
BUT, I am seeing parts that look like it is a conversion kit for making the darn thing a replaceable bulb rather than a seal beam.

Is that what most guys do? I am nervous about hooking up a $45 dollar sealed beam and having it blow. I don't know if there is a short or they just popped because they are old.

Dave

You need to run a battery to prevent from blowing out the bulbs, Almost all motorcycle you need to have the battery in for the lights not to blow. I do not have that new of CT70, In the KO (69-71) bikes you have a bulb you can change in them, Honda may have changed that later on. Beatrice cycle is a good site with a lot of info on the Trail 70 and Honda Horizontals. I have been buy parts from them for over 8 years with no problems, You use to be able to call and talk to Jack but he no longer takes calls, But he updated the site with a lot more spec's and fitment for what fits what.

Someone on Ebay has a headlight conversion kit for older Honda's. I think they have two different sizes you can get. Do a search and see if their is one the same size as your CT70. I was thinking about getting one for my 360 as the sealed beam headlight is almost $80 for mine.

All of my old Hondas have that type of headlamp. The one for my MB5 is discontinued. I bought a NOS lamp on ebay for a lot of money, but now I'm kind of afraid to install it. As mentioned above, your bike might run w/o a battery, but it will kill the headlamp.