CT70H 4 Speed timing question

Ok, I've done some searching on here, and haven't seen anything that really answers my question. I have what I believe is a 72 CT70H. It at the very least is a 4 speed. My issue is, at higher RPM the bike cuts out and loses power. I have pulled the flywheel to make sure the mechanical timing advance is moving freely, and found something I think is very strange. The cam that I think should only have two notches for the "paws", has two extra notches, 90 degrees off from the factory notches. This is where the "paws" are sitting. I tried putting everything back to what looked like the factory location, and it won't run at all. I tried turning it 180 from that position, and nothing. The only way I can get it to run, is what looks to be 90 degrees from the factory setting. It idles and runs flawlessly at lower speeds, but spits and sputters at higher RPM. Does anyone have any ideas why this thing should even run the way it is? Or am I completely wrong about the extra two notches?

New points and condenser are ordered. I guess I was thinking it had to be more than that, considering the timing advance cam is running 90 degrees from stock location.

A plugged fuel tank cap vent can also trap a vacuum in the tank that limits fuel flow. As soon as it starts to sputter on you while riding. IMMEDIATELY, as in right away, switch the fuel valve to off and stop the bike by killing it with the key.

Then use a screwdriver to open the float bowl drain screw and see how much fuel drains. If not so much, this is a fuel problem that could either be float related or a plugged fuel cap vent problem.

Rick

Buy a service manual and read it. In the back it will have Q and A , do what it says. If that does not fix the problem, you did something wrong and start over. Not trying to be a smart but. Honda motors are bulletproof. If you like the bike it will be the best thing you can buy for it. Honda makes awesome service books, motors and bikes. I wish I knew more about the motor you're working on. But I know it's something simple. good luck.